Battery Cable issue

JKLIFE

Hey guys,
So a few days ago my battery light came on my dash. The battery is a few months old and I thought that was kinda weird. So I looked under the hood I noticed some corrosion on the positive connector. So I cleaned it off and I noticed the light went off. So yesterday I fired the jeep up pulled it out of the garage and loaded my kids. When I got in I noticed that my radio was not on and all the lights on my dashboard were illuminated. I turn the Jeep off and when I went to turn it back on all it did was make a ticking sound. When I popped the
ATTACH]
H]149587[/ATTACH][/IMG] hood this is what I found. I went everywhere trying to find a 10g fuse link. Had no luck and went to the local dealer. They said I needed to replace the whole battery cable that's $285.37. Anybody else have this issue or recommendation?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434727918.695286.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434727918.695286.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 68

JKLIFE

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434735011.779882.jpg the fuse link is short. But jeep is saying I need to replace the whole cable that runs to the starter and alternator.

Jeep Bro 08

Mine did the same thing few days ago except all my dash lights came on while i was driving for like 3 seconds. I also had the ticking sound way b4 all this my jeep mysteriously shut off while i was giving a lady a tow so i wiggle the battery wires and i was able to turn it on again. Im thinking now its gota be the metal cap i have on my battery post

JKLIFE

Oh wow. Bet that was a little gnarly. Well I bought the wiring. Pick it up tomorrow morning. I just need to find what was drawing power that cause the fuse to melt.

theprospect13

I have large amounts of corrosion build up every few days! I clean it and it comes right back, replaced the battery to a red top and still acid on top! I've tried the spray, don't really want to pay for a new cable

Kalums

Any ideas?

Try the corrosion preventer?, most auto parts stores carry it. What are you cleaning it with? Coke is a temp fix, as is baking soda and water. Those just neutralize "most" of the acid causing your problem. The acid more than likely got in under the cable "cover" (the plastic/rubber casing), the only way to get rid of it after this happens is cut / trim out the affected portion or replace the whole cable. If you do trim it I personally prefer a terminal connection that has to be soldered on(you solder the wire/cable to the battery terminal connection) they fail less frequently than clamp connection kind. Just my .02

Top Bottom