ARB compressor location?...besides under the hood

FoxC

My ARB rear locker was installed yesterday. I'm playing around with mounting locations for the compressor. Has anyone mounted it in the cargo area and, if so, do you have regrets...pros-cons etc...?
I like the idea of getting it out from under the hood and accessable in the back. Maybe even mounted to the tailgate. It would be easy to hook up the airhose and such. Any thoughts...?
:beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have always wanted to mount a tank where the stock jack was but I don't think it would fit unless you cut the tub.

FoxC

Did you swap axles too? Let's see some pics of the compressor install!
No axel swap...yet. I went ahead and built the rear d44 up with shafts, locker, and re-geared fr/rear to 4.88. The PR44 will go in sometime beginning next year. I'll just keep it easy on the d30 until then. We can use the d30 for my sons 2dr build so I figure its not money lost.

I didnt get picks from adam's DS on the locker install...:idontknow:, but I'll take picks to add to my build thread with the compressor/wiring solution...whatever that may be.:thinking: I guess I'm just a little leery on under the hood mounting because of our summer temps out here...or maybe I'm just putting too much thought into it.

Donny

Will you put a locker in the front as well? Or is lockers in one enough? I am still learning by the way so as I read posts covering things I don't know yet...well I just gotta ask :)

Donny

FoxC

Will you put a locker in the front as well? Or is lockers in one enough? I am still learning by the way so as I read posts covering things I don't know yet...well I just gotta ask :)

Donny
We'll install a locker in the rear only for the time being. I dont want to test my luck with 37's on a locked d30 front axel. I will eventually swap the front to a dynatrac prorock and it will recieve an ARB locker as well.

If your building your rig one axel at a time like we are, i think it just makes more sense to lock the rear first.

Gibbo

I'd like to bring life back to this old thread. I'm having ARB install F+R lockers straight after x-mas, and I to was wondering where all you air locked jeepers have mounted your compressors. ARB say's under the hood is probably the best. or under one of the front seats. One customer mounted his in the space behind the tail light. For me I was thinking in the cargo area, say on top the wheel well next to the roll bar. What are the suggestions of everyone.

Serg5000

I have the ARB twin air compressor and would like to put it under the hood so I can have a short power cable and I think it's the safest place for it. The issue is this thing is huge man. I have a couple ideas but haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

Gibbo

Serg5000 said:
I have the ARB twin air compressor and would like to put it under the hood so I can have a short power cable and I think it's the safest place for it. The issue is this thing is huge man. I have a couple ideas but haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

Yeh, under hood is good for short power supply. My issue is my JK is right hand drive, and the only open area will be right in the way for servicing. The instuctions say keep a short power supply, then they say keep the comp central between the axles. Well you can't do both. ARB say mount where I like, they'll use a thick ( 6mm ) power cable and all will be fine. Does anyone have their comp some where else other than under the hood.

Serg5000

Do you have the single or twin compressor? If you have the single you can put it under the hood no problem. Same place as you would the left hand drive. I would buy the bracket and make the adjustments to make it work right hand drive then just re-weld it.

Are the right hand drive under hood components the same as the left hand drive only in reverse??

Gibbo

I have the single. I think the R/L hand drives are pretty much the same, just reversed. I'll have to look at that bracket again.

Serg5000

I was looking at the bracket and if it were me, I would cut off the part the compressor mounts to and flip it. The just weld a small gusset on the bottom. You could have this done in about an hour. Looks like a piece of cake.

Gibbo

Serg5000 said:
I was looking at the bracket and if it were me, I would cut off the part the compressor mounts to and flip it. The just weld a small gusset on the bottom. You could have this done in about an hour. Looks like a piece of cake.

Thanks for prompting me to look under the hood again buddy, I've worked out a very simple bracket. I'm wrapped!. I'll fold it up out of 3mm stainless tomarrow, and fit it over x-mas. I'll let you know how it goes and post some photos when finished. Thanks again.

Serg5000

That's awesome. Glad to have given you a reason to look under the hood again. Looking forward to your Install pics.

I will also post pics of what and where I put my twin compressor.

Top Bottom