Turbo 3.8

hhunter050

Does anybody know of any companies that make turbos for the 3.8? My buddy took a turbo out of a f250 about 2 years ago and put it in his miata and it ran great. You guys think a custom turbo could work on a 3.8? Just throwing out ideas cause everybody and there brother is supercharged these days

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Prodigy sells the only turbo kit that Im aware of. No idea what it would take to do a custom set up.

I personally wouldn't do it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't run a turbo then because of the lag and added under hood heat. If you wanted to I would run a smaller turbo because it would spool quicker

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Any reasons why you wouldnt?

Mostly because I don't see a need for it.
I did want a super charger for the longest time but eventually I figured out that you can get a lot back by regearing. If you haven't regeared you should start there.

swazza94

There is a guy that i know of that has done it here in Aus but it was custom and I'm not sure how he likes it? but it can be done

hhunter050

Mostly because I don't see a need for it.
I did want a super charger for the longest time but eventually I figured out that you can get a lot back by tires by regearing. If you haven't regeared you should start there.

I probably should but I haven't lol thanks for the feedback

BlackHawk08jk

Any reasons why you wouldnt?

Turbos are great when your doing things that allow the turbo to get spooled up and stay spooled up. Such as drag racing or truck and tractor pulling (I'm a diesel guy). But off road (rock crawling) you won't keep it spooled up so it won't really do you any good. If you plan to just blast across desert flats it would stayed spooled up but you would really have to watch you EGTs in that heat. For the price and what you would gain from it I would say it's not worth it. But it's your jeep your money so don't let me tell you what to do😁

BlackHawk08jk

I wouldn't run a turbo then because of the lag and added under hood heat. If you wanted to I would run a smaller turbo because it would spool quicker

Even a small one would be hard to get spooled up fast enough for rock climbing. And when you tune an engine for a turbo they are gutless without it being spooled up. You are also right on the money with the heat, and the 3.8 already produces a lot of heat.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Even a small one would be hard to get spooled up fast enough for rock climbing. And when you tune an engine for a turbo they are gutless without it being spooled up. You are also right on the money with the heat, and the 3.8 already produces a lot of heat.

And oil consumption...turbo would only accelerate it

hhunter050

Thanks for all the info guys. Probably not going to do for practical reasons (I rock crawl) lol but let's be honest. It would be pretty damn cool to show up at a jeep meet with tge turbo whistling

Top Bottom