Uneven brake wear

jhires

I just replaced all the brake pads because I could hear the squealer. But the wear from front to back was extremely uneven. In my experience, the front usually wear out first. But in this case, the front are almost new condition, while the rear wear almost worn to nothing.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434767089.801963.jpg

The front is not a new pad.
I'm the original owner (purchased new with 9 miles or so on it)
Never changed the breaks before this.
55k on this set.

Is this what others are experiencing or should I be headed to the dealer about this one?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That is not normal. From what I read (not sure how true, it was on the Internet) the inside pad wears faster then the outside but not nearly that much.

I just did my rear brakes and the inside was the slightest bit more warn then the outside but it was hard to tell.

That does not look normal.

jhires

For clarity, the worn out pad came off the rear axle, the other three pad from that axle were in similar bad shape.

The other pad (which looks almost new) is from the front axle, and the other three from the front axle are in similar good condition.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For clarity, the worn out pad came off the rear axle, the other three pad from that axle were in similar bad shape.

The other pad (which looks almost new) is from the front axle, and the other three from the front axle are in similar good condition.

Oh yeah that's normal. You brake with the rear mostly.

JAGS

Hooked
As overlander said, they do wear out faster.

Another reason, your traction control triggers the rears which aids in causing the extra wear as well.

jhires

Wow. That's kinda messed up that the wear is so out of balance. But it is good to know what to expect.

Thanks for the info!

--Jesse

LeighP

I've seen numerous remarks about this....JK's seem to wear the backs more than the fronts...unlike old school, non ABS/ESC/BLD controlled systems.
I fully expect mine to wear out at the rears first.

Clark Griswold

I have 34k on mine and the back pads are almost at the wear indicator and the fronts still have plenty left. I guess living in the north with the long winters might have something to do with it as traction control stays pretty busy.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I replaced my rears at around 60,000. Just put on a new set of tires looked at my fronts and they almost look new at 82,000.

cbmatt66

I just replaced my rear pads this past weekend at around 62,000 mi. I kept hearing the squealer.
The front pads are pretty close to needing replaced too.

Clark Griswold

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435954508.992854.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435954527.160021.jpg
Here's what's left of my rear pads at 36k miles. Both sides were the same wear although one of the slider pins was seized on the drivers side so I fixed that. Also rotated the tires and found what appears to be a slight axle leak on the drivers side. You guys think this would be covered under the power train warranty if I take it in?

jeeeep

Hooked
i have a 2010 auto and recall my rear brakes wore out at less than 15000 miles but i also tow a trailer. the passenger side rear inner pad was worn to the rivets while the outer pad looked fine. i ended up replacing the rotors and pads

drinkmoosehead

I just did all my brakes at 95000km the fronts like yours still looked pretty new, the backs needed replacing. However the reason I even looked was that my passenger side rear wheel and hub were heating up and I was getting a bit of brake smell. I thought it was the parking brake getting hung up so lubed that up pretty well and hoped I'd be done with it, the problem continued tho, apparently the rear calipers are known to sometimes get "hung up" somehow and not release completely. Jeep dealer replaced both under warrantee.
I'd say it's normal for the rear brakes to wear faster, but I'd check your hubs after a short 25-30km drive around town for any extra heat. One side I could easily touch the rotor as it was cool/warm the other you could feel the heat without even touching it.
It was heating up the whole wheel, this would be kinda hard to miss. Take a look.

Top Bottom