Bump Steer and Sensitive Steering

Petzl88

Guys,

Here is what I have for a lift. I am considering changing because the highway handling is driving me nuts. I am confused and would appreciate your help.

- 2" EVO coils in the front with 0.5" Teraflex spacer on top (3" of measured lift in the front)
- 2" Teraflex coil spacer in the rear
- JKS adjustable trac bars front and rear (no rear trac bar brackets)
- Stock JK Rubicon shocks with 2.5" shock extensions
- JKS control arm drop brackets with stock control arms (castor verified at 4.2 degrees from alignment shop)
- Stock rear sway bar links in the front
- Stock rear sway bar links in the rear
- 285 70 17 Goodyear Duratracs at 31 psi
- 2" bumpstops front and rear

The body rocking, bump steer and super sensitive steering drives me bat shit crazy. I would not be comfortable handing the keys to another driver and telling them to go pick somebody up at the airport. I understand that it is lifted and it is not a sports car, but it feels like the sway bar is semi disconnected.

When I drive up a steep hill, fast, say 50 mph it feels like the steering tightens up and I have no idea why. Why does the steering tighten up when the front of the jeep is a little higher driving up a steep hill? I could deal with the bump steer as long as the steering would tighten up.

Should I flip the drag link? It feels like I need stiffer coils or better shocks. I am thinking about going with the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Would the shocks help? I am at the point that I am just going to pick another lift or lower it a bit (no, not a lowering kit! :doh:). Should I recheck castor? Thanks.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Did you put bump stops to match your extensions? Shocks may be blown if not. They sell rear track bar brackets for smaller lifts. Should help your roll center in the rear.
But my guess is need new shocks. I would remove them and push them in and see if they come back out.
Have you ever had no shocks on a jeep and moved it side to side. They move pretty good. Shocks actually do a lot of work.

Petzl88

Did you put bump stops to match your extensions? Shocks may be blown if not. They sell rear track bar brackets for smaller lifts. Should help your roll center in the rear.
But my guess is need new shocks. I would remove them and push them in and see if they come back out.
Have you ever had no shocks on a jeep and moved it side to side. They move pretty good. Shocks actually do a lot of work.

I will take a look and see. I updated the list above as I have 2" bumpstops front and rear. I drove in my buddy's rig that has a 3" EVO Enforcer, drag link flip and the King remote reservoir shocks and I noticed some modest body roll as well. I expect some body roll but mine is ridiculous. I just don't know where to put my next dollar (trac bar bracket, new shocks, new springs, drag link flip, control arms). I will take a look. Thank you.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Any chance you can try another set of tires? This is similar to that guy who had "tramlining" with his good year duratrac tires.

Top Bottom