Gas cap?

jeff_in_rc

First thing I would do is remove the cap and put it back on then drive it for a while to see if the problem goes away. Sometimes the cap is loose is all and hey this fix is free!

jeeeep

Hooked
take the cap off and clean the rim of the filler neck with an alcohol swap, just don't drop it down the neck. also wipe the cap seal off then use something like chapstick on the cap seal, doesn't take much. put the cap on and see if that takes care of it, may take a few startups for the code to clear

I take it you've experienced this issue as well. I've read some about it being a problem. What's the fix? Stealership time?

On other vehicles yes, our Jeeps no. I am just familiar with the code and what causes it. Gas tank pressure/vacuum is monitored as part of the emissions regulations. When this code is thrown there is a monitored issue with the "seal" of the system. The most common points of this failure are the evap canister and cap. IMO it's in that order. Of course, this doesn't mean its the only thing that can cause it.

As mentioned, checking the cap's seal is worth a shot. Jeeps are more susceptible to debris at the cap as the cap is exposed on many and there is not a cover. You should always "click" the cap at least 3 times. My OCD has me do 5 and then rotate to line it up ;) .

As the JK generation begins to age it seems common that the ports at the evap canister (and in some cases the ports at the tank) become brittle and break easily. It is likely your Jeep is still running fine, but this is something you will want to look into. If your fuel system has a leak the tank can draw moisture and you are throwing fuel away as it evaporates out of your tank.

If the problem persists beyond the cap check, and it is under warranty, by all means let them handle it. If it is out of warranty I would take a closer look myself.

Jay

tobias lopez

Not sure if u fixed this but I got the same code when I forgot to put my cap back on after pumping gas. I just put the cap on drove for a while the code went away on its own.

Top Bottom