Spider gear's

joose

I have an "08" with a Dana 30 which I exploded the spider gears this past weekend on the trail. My question is can I pull out carrier and unbolt ring gear slap knew spiders in bolt up ring put back in housing and not lose tolerances set by factory? Ring and pinion survived the explosion and are in excellent shape still. Thanks:)
Joose

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Shouldnt have to pull carrier. The spider gears should have a pin running through them that has a small bolt that goes through the carrier into the pin. Once this bolt is out, the pin should slide out. Then simply rotate the spider gears until they line up with the opening and they should come out. You may have to pull your axle shafts out some to get the side gears out.

Nevermind, it does look like the carrier has to come out as the center pin is held in by a pin that has to be pressed out with a punch and hammer.

Last edited:

joose

I Tried that, but pin hit's ring gear and won't come out that's why I have to pull carrier.

joose

I Tried that, but pin hit's ring gear and won't come out that's why I have to pull carrier.

Which goes back to question will I be able to put back in with original shims and have no issues or is it a professional job?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Yeah I edited my post as you were typing probably. Ive never messed with a Dana 30 and assumed it had the bolt but it had the roll pin.

Ive pulled carriers before and made sure as to which shim went where and put them back in the same place when reinstalling carrier, and checked the gear pattern after I got it all put back together and it was still good. As long as you do that, in theory you aren't changing anything and it should be fine.

joose

Thank's Muudmoeeler I'm going with your theory solution and give it a try. I posted "huh" just to drum up other people's response. I'm in the process of saving for a pr44, but I have a week long jeep trip coming up. So for a 100 bucks I'll through in some new spiders and hope I'm good to go for my trip.:yup:

Top Bottom