Hitch options with rear DTD

xflstl

Anyone tow much that has front and rear DTD suspension?? How does it handle weight?? Also looking for an upgrade option for my stock hitch that will work with the eco lever. The stock hitch on my 2010 is a great skid plate when wheeling, but those 4 bolts holding it on look scary when thinking about hauling any rear weight..

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Those 4 bolts and stock hitch are more than enough to well exceed the tow rating. If you think it isn't enough for what you plan to tow you are planning to tow too much :)

xflstl

Those 4 bolts and stock hitch are more than enough to well exceed the tow rating. If you think it isn't enough for what you plan to tow you are planning to tow too much 

A 26ft camper trailer , (6000lbs)

MICP3309

Thats a lot of weight to tow with a JK.. figure the max tow rating for stock is 2000 lbs with 3.21 gears and "Max tow" 3.71 gears is 3500 lbs. I can't imagine trying to pull 6000 lbs and push big tires...

Rccrwlr

Thats a lot of weight to tow with a JK.. figure the max tow rating for stock is 2000 lbs with 3.21 gears and "Max tow" 3.71 gears is 3500 lbs. I can't imagine trying to pull 6000 lbs and push big tires...

You may get it going but good luck stopping it. Bad idea!

xflstl

I've got the engine, gearing, and braking power to handle it. Just curious suspension wise. Guess I'll have to wait until my jeep comes outta the shop and give it a try.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A 26ft camper trailer , (6000lbs)

:shock: Are you kidding me?? The towing capacity of a JKU is 3500. Even if you have the power and your trailer has brakes, I don't know if your Jeep has the wheel base to make it safe. That being said, you need to give your factory hitch receiver a closer look. If you did, you'd know that the 4 bolts are only there to secure the entire receiver to your rear cross member. There is ZERO stress placed on the bolts when pulling a trailer.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've got the engine, gearing, and braking power to handle it. Just curious suspension wise. Guess I'll have to wait until my jeep comes outta the shop and give it a try.

By all means tow the camper with the jeep then. When you wreck and total your jeep because of the camper don't come back whining. I only pray you don't hurt or kill somebody (including yourself) because that camper weighs too much and really is too long for the wheelbase of your jeep.

This very reason is one reason why the state of Oklahoma is looking at making laws/regulations on pulling trailers. I'm afraid it's going to come down to people being required to have a CDL to pull a trailer over a certain length and weight. My stepdad has a tandem dual flatbed gooseneck trailer with two 12k or 15k pound axles. The place he bought it from won't even sell it to you unless you have a CDL just to help cover their butts I guess. I really don't blame them.

So many times I see too small of vehicles wrecked and totaled because they were towing something too big for the vehicle. Usually it's a boat or a camper.

Slinger

overweight towing

hey - just bought a 2015 jku auto - i was told it would tow 5k, like my liberty - found out the 3/21 is rated @ 2k - dealership told me they had conf. Call with mopar & my hd trailer & bike (w/brakes). Total weight @ 2750, they all agreed i would have less power but all would be ok. I was to try it & let them know.i made a 200 mile trip & had no probs at all - 17 -18 mpg @ 70-75 mph.
So - i was worried about 750lbs over, man 6k would cause damage & possibly a wreck. I wuldn't even try it.
Slinger

big dr

I agree with others,,, Don't tow that much with a Jeep. It does not matter what engine, axles, brakes, suspension you have. Will it tow better than stock,, yes. Has the tow capacity rating been increased by DOT,,, NO! If you are towing close to double what the vehicle is rated for and you wreck and kill someone, expect Vehicular Manslaughter charges,,, its been done before.

Gmwelder86

Towing 6k in a short wheel base, lite, top heavy vehicle with a strong side profile in the wind sounds like a horrible idea. 4k maybe depending on mods and where you will be driving but 6 is far put of the question.

Hell I struggled keeping in the lanes coming back from moab in May with just the jk. Wouldn't imagine doing it with a trailer with 40+ mph head and cross winds.

xflstl

By all means tow the camper with the jeep then. When you wreck and total your jeep because of the camper don't come back whining. I only pray you don't hurt or kill somebody (including yourself) because that camper weighs too much and really is too long for the wheelbase of your jeep.

This very reason is one reason why the state of Oklahoma is looking at making laws/regulations on pulling trailers. I'm afraid it's going to come down to people being required to have a CDL to pull a trailer over a certain length and weight. My stepdad has a tandem dual flatbed gooseneck trailer with two 12k or 15k pound axles. The place he bought it from won't even sell it to you unless you have a CDL just to help cover their butts I guess. I really don't blame them.

So many times I see too small of vehicles wrecked and totaled because they were towing something too big for the vehicle. Usually it's a boat or a camper.

I'm not saying I plan go hook up my trailer and go kill someone. I'm asking a question about the suspension. I have already hauled the trailer several hundred miles with a Tahoe, and we'll it sucked. Even tho the Tahoe is rated for 8500 lbs. I have hauled it about 10 miles with a near stock 2011 jku, it sucked even more due to the lack of power and way to soft of rear suspension. (Never went over 38 mph or on any main roads).

My question is in regards to towing with the DTD and is it any more firm for towing than the stock coil springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My question is in regards to towing with the DTD and is it any more firm for towing than the stock coil springs.

Entertaining the thought for a moment, it depends on what coils you're running on your coil overs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm not saying I plan go hook up my trailer and go kill someone. I'm asking a question about the suspension. I have already hauled the trailer several hundred miles with a Tahoe, and we'll it sucked. Even tho the Tahoe is rated for 8500 lbs. I have hauled it about 10 miles with a near stock 2011 jku, it sucked even more due to the lack of power and way to soft of rear suspension. (Never went over 38 mph or on any main roads).

Yeah you'll be fine. Fuck it, throttle out.

xflstl

Entertaining the thought for a moment, it depends on what coils you're running on your coil overs.

Not sure, jeeps not in front of me at the moment. Whatever the default is when you order both front and rear DTD. I don't recall being asked or shown an option for spring rating's at time of order.

xflstl

I agree with others,,, Don't tow that much with a Jeep. It does not matter what engine, axles, brakes, suspension you have. Will it tow better than stock,, yes. Has the tow capacity rating been increased by DOT,,, NO! If you are towing close to double what the vehicle is rated for and you wreck and kill someone, expect Vehicular Manslaughter charges,,, its been done before.

No offense intended at all. I could not possibly care less about what the dot says... I run by there rules on a daily bases, and let me tell you they have 0% ability to do anything correctly or safe. They either make rules that are so extreme they are ridiculous, or they go the other way and actually make something less safe by poor rules.

xflstl

Towing 6k in a short wheel base, lite, top heavy vehicle with a strong side profile in the wind sounds like a horrible idea. 4k maybe depending on mods and where you will be driving but 6 is far put of the question.

Hell I struggled keeping in the lanes coming back from moab in May with just the jk. Wouldn't imagine doing it with a trailer with 40+ mph head and cross winds.

Fyi wheelbase for a Tahoe and a Jku are the same. While wheelbase plays a role in towing ability and capacity it's not the key factor.

Brent McCartney

There is a reason for the jku max allowed tow rating. It weighs about 3600 pounds. A 6000 pound trailer would double the weight of the Jeep. Not to mention your trailer is longer than the Jeep creating a pendalum effect waiting for a disaster to happen.
I have a CDL and shutter at the thought of this accident.

Top Bottom