Rubicon Trail Run June 2015 - From Beginning to End and Everything in Between

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a real long time since Cindy and I have had a chance to run the Rubicon with a small group and felt fortunate when Adam (Overlander JK) asked if we could lead a trip across it with a few of his friends. Of course, as luck would have it, his friends Chris (Irish JK) and Kristen, Garrett (SDG), Russ (ttfhell) and Doug (Trail Bud) just happen to be our friends as well and all of them have built up rigs running ProRock axles and EVO coil overs. With this in mind, we decided to run the trail all the way from the Wentworth Springs end and take on some of the big boy lines along the way - or at least, whoever was willing to chance some carnage. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take anywhere as near as many pics as we normally do but are hoping some of the others who joined us can add a few of theirs to fill in the gaps. We did shoot a lot of video though and if we can, we'll try to post up some short clips as soon as possible. For now, here are just a handful of pics from our recent Rubicon run. I hope you enjoy. :cool:

Before heading out, I needed to give Moby some well needed TLC.
main.php

All packed up and ready to go.
main.php

Doug (Trail Bud) meeting up with us at Camp WAYALIFE the day of the run.
main.php

A half hour later, we met up with the rest of the gang in South Lake Tahoe.
main.php

After breakfast and getting a really late start, we finally made it to the trail head near Airport Flat and aired down.
main.php

Climbing the granite faces near Wentworth Springs.
main.php

Working our way into the Wentworth Sluice.
main.php

main.php

Adam made a great attempt on a big boy line but got turtled. Of course, to add insult to injury, his awesome Chinese made ENGO winch decided to take a dump right when he needed it most. Fortunately, Garrett was near by with his WARN and he and Russ were able to pull him off.
main.php

Further up the way, Chris (Irish JK) made a valiant attempt to take on an obstacle that includes a ledge made for 40's but just didn't have the break over angles. After drifting his way into the Manzanita, we winched him up.
main.php

During all the road building that's been going on the Rubicon, Walker Rock had been moved out of the way to allow heavy equipment by. It was good to see they put it back where it belonged when they were done.
main.php

Descending the large boulders near the Soup Bowl.
main.php

Garrett and Russ standing inside the Soup Bowl to give it some scale.
main.php

Thanks to the lack of snow, even water crossings like the one just before the slabs was pretty shallow especially for June.
main.php

main.php

main.php

What a beautiful day to be out on the Rubicon!
main.php

Heading down the Old Sluice.
main.php

Toward the end, we ran into some nice kids who were in over their heads and so we took some time to help them out. This rig was relatively equipped for this kind of terrain and just needed some spotting from someone familiar with the obstacle.
main.php

His buddy really needed at least one locker and a bit more experience under his belt to finish things up so we helped him to bail out.
main.php

Cindy taking Moby through.
main.php

Posing for a shot before dropping into Buck Island Lake.
main.php

Working our way down the Big Sluice.
main.php

Cindy getting Moby twisted up in what we like to call the Bastard Section.
main.php

At camp at last! Shot of the Rubicon River just before the bridge.
main.php

I'll just leave this here - Russ... Garrett... Lava Jacket. :crazyeyes:
main.php

main.php

main.php

Ahhh - gotta love taking a hike along the Rubicon River at the crack of dawn.
main.php

After slipping off a rock and falling into the river, Tess asks why I did that to her.
main.php

As the day warmed up, Russ decided it was time to test out the waters.
main.php

With the water being so cold, Chris decided to go in one toe at a time.
main.php

We have lift off!! Adam in the air.
main.php

Garrett taking flight.
main.php

Time to thaw out.
main.php

Couldn't ask for better a better day.
main.php

The last two times we ran the Rubicon, someone in our group suffered a significant break that prevented us from taking a group shot at the top of Cadillac Hill. Being able to do it this time around was a real treat.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Of course, no trip on the Rubicon is complete without a Rock Hard Wet Woodie!!
main.php

CHEERS!!
main.php

VIDEO CLIPS
Below are links to video clips that we have posted up from our trip with the first being of Cindy taking Moby up the Soup Bowl.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?28426-VIDEO-MOBY-Takes-on-the-Rubicon-Soup-Bowl

And that's about all the pics we got, I hope you all enjoyed them. I do hope the rest of you who joined us on this trip will be able to post up what you've got. Again, a BIG THANKS needs to go out to Adam for organizing this trip and for inviting Cindy and I to join the group. We had a great time with everyone and look forward to more trips just like this. :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Amazing pics as always Cindy and Eddie! Can't wait to see some of the clips from the trip!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
What a dump. Rausch Creek is so much better....said no one ever. Amazing as usual, and Im definitely jelly. One day.....

ttfhell

From Beginning to End and Everything in Between - Rubicon Trail Run 2015

Good times and great people. Here are some of what I took. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435332928.201658.jpg Edit!!! My internet is slow as shit now. Will post more later.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Great pics of an awesome trip with built JK's, good friends and no breaks (the winch doesn't count). How does it get any better!:yup:

Damtall55

OMG Your pictures are always AWESOME, rain or shine!! Beautiful day to do some crawling!! Looks like a great time and thanks for sharing!!

MTG

Caught the Bug
From Beginning to End and Everything in Between - Rubicon Trail Run 2015

Looks like a fun trip!

It's always hard for me to tell with some of the special effects you use in your videos, but either Russ is standing 30 feet behind Garrett or...

Garrett and Russ standing inside the Soup Bowl to give it some scale.
main.php

;)

jeff_in_rc

Great post and pics, thanks for sharing. BTW the shot of Chris with one toe in the water is priceless! Your timing could not have been any better.

Top Bottom