Winch Prohibits Removal of Grille!?!

TeamFaust

Okay, so this is most likely just me ranting and venting to a group that should understand the frustration.

I've been wanting to install a transmission cooler for a while and finally got around to getting all the parts needed. It's a pretty straight forward install...remove the grille, place some brackets, install the cooler, tie in the transmission oil line...probably less than an hour, no big deal right?

So last night I go to get started and pull the six upper body clips out around the top of the grille, disconnect the turn signals and start to pull the grille forward to pop the lower grille body clips and there it is...the back of the winch and its associated wire connections are so close to the front of the grille that it can't move forward enough to pull the body clips out of their holes...AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!! :shock: Really???? :thinking:

So after trying to prod, pull and coax for 20 minutes (this thing typically pops off in about 30 seconds start to finish), I think well now what? Looks like I'm going to have to somehow remove the winch to get the darn grille out...oh but wait the power cabling for the winch was just barely long enough to reach the battery in the first place and I really don't want to have to un-snake it and then redo if at all possible. Okay so maybe I can just loosen the winch mount bolts underneath the plate...well the back two are fairly accessible the front two...dang they are deep up in the front of the RR XHD bumper...this is going to be a real knuckle buster at best. Okay now it's dark, getting late and I do have to drive this thing to work in the morning...top grille clips back in, turn signals reconnected, hood closed. Guess we'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon so that if I have to take the whole front end apart at least I can let it sit until finished.

Nothing like a quick 45min accessory install that turns out to be so quick and easy -- although I am discovering most turn out this way :yup:...will be picking this back up as a weekend project. :crazyeyes:

Oh and BTW if anyone would like to offer any empathy, support, input, or "why didn't you do this dummy" advice/commentary have at it :thumb:

Here are a few pics so you can take look for yourself:

winch-grille 1.jpg winch-grille 2.jpg winch-grille 3.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the same bumper and while it is tight it is easy to pull the front grill off. The bottom plastic prongs are pretty flexible so you can bend them to slide the grill out. Also the one that gives you the biggest problem is the center prong. What you can do is cut a little bit of if off for easier install/removal of the grill in the future.

I feel ya. I have a Warn Zeon on a LoD Armorlite stubby front bumper, and its closer to the grille than yours.

I want to upgrade my headlights to TruckLites, but I dread having to do exactly as your having to do.....simple 20 minute project turns into 2 or more hours.....arrrgghhh!

Good luck...

Peak

Same. I have the EVO 1/4 and Engo 10K, I usually just remove the bumper bolts and slide it forward a few inches till there is enough clearance to remove the grill.

Rccrwlr

Don't have this problem with the Hanson stubby and warn xd9000. Sorry for your troubles. You probably should have gone a different bumper/winch combo in prep for future grille removal.

TeamFaust

Don't have this problem with the Hanson stubby and warn xd9000. Sorry for your troubles. You probably should have gone a different bumper/winch combo in prep for future grille removal.

Yah, cause future grille removal was what I was thinking about when adding bumper & winch :)
However in hind sight I guess I should have been :p

jedg

I have the same bumper and while it is tight it is easy to pull the front grill off. The bottom plastic prongs are pretty flexible so you can bend them to slide the grill out. Also the one that gives you the biggest problem is the center prong. What you can do is cut a little bit of if off for easier install/removal of the grill in the future.

Yep... ^^^ this... had to do it on mine as well.

thardy

Banned
I feel ya. I have a Warn Zeon on a LoD Armorlite stubby front bumper, and its closer to the grille than yours.

I want to upgrade my headlights to TruckLites, but I dread having to do exactly as your having to do.....simple 20 minute project turns into 2 or more hours.....arrrgghhh!

Good luck...

For TruckLites, while not ideal, it can be done without full grill removal. As long as you have an extra set of hands to help hold the grill back it can be done.

Dean454

Same situation with my setup. I think you may have to bust your knuckles to get the winch to cooperate

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
For TruckLites, while not ideal, it can be done without full grill removal. As long as you have an extra set of hands to help hold the grill back it can be done.

Yes, I found out the hard way. I should have broke off the bottom clips a long time ago.

Attachments

• 1435361022920.jpg
    1435361022920.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 138

JeepJeep75

I just installed an LŌD stubby with a Warn Powerplant HD. I had to grind the front of the winch cover down about an 1/8 inch to get the winch bolts in. The grill surprisingly had just enough room to slide down behind the winch. I thought I would have to trim the grill clips but it just cleared.

I cut all my plastic clips off on the bottom. Between the 6 on top and the 3 on the market lights it stays put. Always plan for removal if possible. Nothing stays 100% where it is 100% of the time on a build :yup: Good Luck!

Grubbicon

OK. Cool. Thanks for the reference. Much obliged...

Like thardy said I did do it that way. It definitely wasnt easy but when I undid the top clips I was about to flex the it enough to get a hand in there. My brother helped me with it and without it would of been much harder. After the fact I talked to a friend that has a shop and he told me when he runs into this he usually cuts the clips on the bottom to free it up. He says there is no problem doing that because there is enough elsewhere holding it. I cant say I would do it that way but supposedly it works.

EDIT: After posting I read further and saw crippledpetey did it that way.

TeamFaust

Well I looked over thoroughly and there was no way it was going to come out without breaking something with the winch being that tight. So took the bumper mount bolts out and slid it forward (thanks Peak)...man is that bumper/winch combo heavy :)
I think when I'm done with this project I may very well clip off the lower clips ad crippledpetey says with the six top clips and the marker light connections I don't think it will go anywhere...especially with the winch being so tight to it. Could alway run a zip tie into the button it it looks like it's moving around, but I don't think that will be an issue.

Smwells

Good luck...

I have RR bumper with zeon winch it is bending my grill in at the bottom. Still installed the truck lites no problem. Just unlcip the top of grill and it has alot of bend in it. Its a failry easy install even not taking the grill off. 20150426_122930.jpg

dchew

Caught the Bug
They key to installing the Truck-Lites without removing the grill is get a plain old T-15 handle driver. Any multi-bit tool will be too fat to get all the way into the screws without some frustration, sweat and swearing.

Dave

Top Bottom