front end binding

chili4x4

I have a problem with my 2010 4door Rubicon. 1. Drivers side brake caliper would sometimes not release... dragging to the point of heating up the entire assembly. I replaced front pads and did a partial brake fluid replacement (turkey baster)... 2. when in 4WD I get a grinding and binding when I turn left or right... progressively getting worse! and I have a slight wobble at about 50-55 mph in the steering wheel.. 3. last night it felt like the front end was heavy..steering wheel.. got home and smelled a very hot almost smokey hot... again it was drivers side .. wheel was hot to touch...

I have just a 2.5 Rough Country puck lift, running AEV Savegre with 35s.... also.. it has 117,000 on the clock....

Is it time for a unit bearing replacement?? Is this U-joints?? Help.... if anyone wants to reply via email... Mallory@marshall.edu

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a problem with my 2010 4door Rubicon. 1. Drivers side brake caliper would sometimes not release... dragging to the point of heating up the entire assembly. I replaced front pads and did a partial brake fluid replacement (turkey baster)... 2. when in 4WD I get a grinding and binding when I turn left or right... progressively getting worse! and I have a slight wobble at about 50-55 mph in the steering wheel.. 3. last night it felt like the front end was heavy..steering wheel.. got home and smelled a very hot almost smokey hot... again it was drivers side .. wheel was hot to touch...

I have just a 2.5 Rough Country puck lift, running AEV Savegre with 35s.... also.. it has 117,000 on the clock....

Is it time for a unit bearing replacement?? Is this U-joints?? Help.... if anyone wants to reply via email... Mallory@marshall.edu

only replacing the pads and partial fluid replacement is not enough, did you bleed the brakes correctly? do you hear a whooshing sound just before applying the brakes?

if there is crud around the caliper piston it'll lock it up and keep it from releasing. it may be time to rebuild the caliper piston or replace it or get a new caliper with piston ready to install, not a difficult job to do.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
only replacing the pads and partial fluid replacement is not enough, did you bleed the brakes correctly? do you hear a whooshing sound just before applying the brakes?

if there is crud around the caliper piston it'll lock it up and keep it from releasing. it may be time to rebuild the caliper piston or replace it or get a new caliper with piston ready to install, not a difficult job to do.

Completely agree. I had nearly the same symptoms and it was due to the corrosion on the outside of the caliper's piston.

Rebuild or replace the caliper. I replaced both calipers (driver's and passenger's side) to make sure I had even braking and I knew the old driver's side would fail next.

chili4x4

Completely agree. I had nearly the same symptoms and it was due to the corrosion on the outside of the caliper's piston.

Rebuild or replace the caliper. I replaced both calipers (driver's and passenger's side) to make sure I had even braking and I knew the old driver's side would fail next.

Yep!! The caliper was failing... also the outboard u-joints needed to be replaced.. I should have done the caliper myself... but I let the dealer do it with the u-joints... I don't EVEN want to admit to what I am going to pay when I pick it up today...

Top Bottom