Winch Woes

JK Rocker

I've got a winch (Superwinch LP8500) that I have actually never used, but has been on my bumper for about 5 years. Now I am giving it a test run and it isn't working. Except for some minor difficulty spooling out, due to a loose cable, it does free spool. I can hear it switching when I use the control, but the motor is not engaging and it won't turn under its own power. The motor is not reacting to the control. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

I plan to contact Superwinch monday, during their business hours, but was hoping to troubleshoot it this weekend.

Thanks!

JK Rocker

Just an update for anyone with a similar problem...

I called Superwinch, who advised me to remove the motor casing and see if it had water inside, which it did. Lots of it, actually. They are sending me a new motor, for free. Great customer service!

So, for anyone with a winch not working. If it free spools and has a working cylonoid, loosen the motor casing and see if water leaks out. If so, they are supposed to be water tight and should be replaced, hopefully for free, by the manufacturer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update for anyone with a similar problem...

I called Superwinch, who advised me to remove the motor casing and see if it had water inside, which it did. Lots of it, actually. They are sending me a new motor, for free. Great customer service!

So, for anyone with a winch not working. If it free spools and has a working cylonoid, loosen the motor casing and see if water leaks out. If so, they are supposed to be water tight and should be replaced, hopefully for free, by the manufacturer.

Wow, that's pretty impressive that they would do that. Kudos to Superwinch. Now, what are you going to do to help keep water out of it in the future?

Not to hijack the thread, but the title fits...

I've got a rugged ridge 8,500 that won't go into free spool. I'm glad it's stuck in that position and not in free spool since I've used it several times in the past couple of weeks, but I don't like having to power it out. Anyone ever had that happen? How did you troubleshoot or resolve if so?

Top Bottom