Hot oil message

Dopey84

Ok so this is the first I've ever heard of this... I was headed out to our camp site and we were about 52 miles out from our house we had highway with hills and then all gravel road for about 35 miles and we were in 4hi and averaging 30mph. We got on to a more steep slope with a more rough rocky but not boulders kinda terrain and my warning chime went off with a hot oil message couldn't find it in the owners manual and so I turned off my rig waited a minute started it back up and no message... Any ideas as to what could have caused this error or what to do to fix it...?

spinuck

Ok so this is the first I've ever heard of this... I was headed out to our camp site and we were about 52 miles out from our house we had highway with hills and then all gravel road for about 35 miles and we were in 4hi and averaging 30mph. We got on to a more steep slope with a more rough rocky but not boulders kinda terrain and my warning chime went off with a hot oil message couldn't find it in the owners manual and so I turned off my rig waited a minute started it back up and no message... Any ideas as to what could have caused this error or what to do to fix it...?

2wd should fix it.

Peak

If it's the transmission oil its common in the 3.8's. Just let it sit for a while and cool down. A cooler would be a good upgrade.

Dopey84

It seemed fine after I put in 2wd and turned off the ac. It's strange that is the first time I've had it happen in the 5 months I've had it and I've driven that road like a dozen times... I'm guessing our 100 degree temps probably aren't helping...

Jitzoo

Common problem with the 3.8...The Mopar unit is way over priced but install was easy (relative) because I didn't have to cut any lines. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435443826.097474.jpg

Peak

From the write ups I have read they seem easy, maybe an hour or so job. I just ordered the B&M cooler. Last time I went wheeling I had the light come on in 50 degree temps. I believe the kit was like $80 on Amazon.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I read this title as Hot Oil Massage and thought Adam and Russ started their own thread about the Rubicon. :idontknow:

ECHO53

It's an easy install I would recommend that you change the fluid as well. Heat is the enemy in this case.

Clark Collins

Always put your Jeep in 4L on the trails and you won't have this problem. Lugging the engine and the transmission hunting for the right gear will cause your trans oil to heat up. I have a 2010 with no aftermarket transmission cooler and have never had a problem.

Dopey84

I would think 4Lo would have had the same results as in 4hi with the hot oil warning... I could be wrong seeing as though it's the first time I've ever had this come up and have driven the same trail enough times not having it come up but... I've only had older jeeps with less technology in it so this is new to me.. But I'll have to try it out n see... I did go ahead and priced out transmission coolers anyways and am gonna order the mishimoto kit and go from there... I have a few long distance trips in the next couple weeks so I don't want to deal with transmission issues on the highway

Dbreggin

4 low is the way to go --- off pavement on grades over 7-10% grades and under 25 mph.

Keeps the Engine speed up for airflow over radiators (if you have a direct drive engine fan), and tranny won't need to hunt for gears.

jesse3638

Hooked
I would think 4Lo would have had the same results as in 4hi with the hot oil warning... I could be wrong seeing as though it's the first time I've ever had this come up and have driven the same trail enough times not having it come up but... I've only had older jeeps with less technology in it so this is new to me.. But I'll have to try it out n see... I did go ahead and priced out transmission coolers anyways and am gonna order the mishimoto kit and go from there... I have a few long distance trips in the next couple weeks so I don't want to deal with transmission issues on the highway

4LO allows for higher RPM's and get more fluid flowing through the trans keeping it cooler. You can even try locking it out in 1st or 2nd gear in 2 or 4 HI. Lugging and constant shifting will cause the trans to generate more heat than can be dissipated. Just had this happen to me a week ago driving my 50k lb (auto trans) water tender the back way up to big bear. I noticed it was running a bit hotter than usual and just as I was about to down shift to 1st got the check trans message and it went into limp mode. Not good when responding to a fire..haha. 20 mins later I was back on the road.

Josh27

I have had this happen in both 2wd and 4HI when driving on relatively easy mountain trails with somewhat steep hills every once in a while (no faster than 35mph). Its never once happened to me in 4LO. It is clearly noticeable that it is much easier to drive in 4LO rather than 2wd or 4HI because the engine seems to bog down on the steep parts when not in 4LO. Which makes the engine work harder and in turn get warmer.

Dopey84

Ok thank you I'll have to just try it out... My concern right now is just making sure I'll make it to Utah next month and than Colorado in September once I'm done with those trips I'll have time to work on my build up

Nick Zambo

Yesterday I was on a moderately difficult trail in 90 degree F in 4 hi for most of it. Jeep stalled twice and lost all gears in the auto trans twice. Was ok in 4 low when I was trying to get off the trail. Once back on the road no gears again. No warning lights ether? After highway speeds it seemed fine. Going to get that trans fluid changed tomorrow.

jeeeep

Hooked
no need to keep it in 4LO when you don't need it.

The 3.8 auto transmission gearing from 3rd to OD is spaced to far apart and when off-road there is a lot of transmission slip that you don't feel.

Always lock out OD and keep it locked out when you're off-road and you shouldn't have the issue.

I have a 2010 auto and have never had any issues running the AC with the transmission OD locked out when off-road.

As a rule I always lock out OD even when on the freeway and there are inclines, sure it'll shift down but it also wants to shift into OD so it'll continue to hunt for a gear so it's better to just lock OD out.

Dopey84

Well had my transmission serviced and haven't had any problems since. Also just took a trip down to lagoon for a family weekend and did great was very excited to take my first long trip and see the kind of mpg I would be getting avg. was about 20mpg at 75mph. Next up Colorado in September.

Top Bottom