Smittybilt x20 12k comp winch

rogerk93

Received my winch yesterday and it has a dead short somewhere in the unit! Should have bought a warn.

mcsjk

This post made me laugh. I don't really have anything to add to the conversation. Just that I'm sorry and thank you for the chuckle.

rogerk93

This post made me laugh. I don't really have anything to add to the conversation. Just that I'm sorry and thank you for the chuckle.

I also laughed when it happened. Just wanted people to know so they won't make the same mistake.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Received my winch yesterday and it has a dead short somewhere in the unit! Should have bought a warn.

LOL!! I apologize for laughing but I get the feeling it was your intent to make us laugh. I'm assuming you can still return it?

Numbnuts

Interesting, I've never had a problem with my Smitty winch. But after reading how terrible they are (roll eyes) I'm going to throw mine away and go buy a Warn. LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, I've never had a problem with my Smitty winch. But after reading how terrible they are (roll eyes) I'm going to throw mine away and go buy a Warn. LOL

LOL!! It's not a matter of them being "terrible" but rather, a matter of quality control or lack there of when it comes to Chinese manufacturers. Just because you're seems to be working well for only means you got the 1 in 10 or even 1 in 100 that seemed to be made well enough. The issue here is that the odds of getting a bum one is significantly higher than would be the case with an American made WARN. When it comes to safety equipment, I personally prefer to go with something I know will work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fast forward to 12:10 on this video - I simply cannot make this stuff up.

The only one in our group who was running a Smittybilt winch.

Numbnuts

Noted
Hey Eddie, I'm going to buy a bottle jack today for my JK. I hate my highlift Jack. I'm running 35s, how big of a bottle jack should I get?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I assume this is the JKX when he wouldn't say the brand only that he should of bought a WARN

Yup, this is that JKX and it was a Smittybilt. Of course, Overlander JK has an ENGO and it did the same thing on the Rubicon a few weeks back.

Noted
Hey Eddie, I'm going to buy a bottle jack today for my JK. I hate my highlift Jack. I'm running 35s, how big of a bottle jack should I get?

I carry a 6-ton bottle jack but, being that you list Elbe as one of your favorite trails, a Hi-Lift might be more useful in certain places there. Still, you can't beat a good bottle jack for most applications.

Numbnuts

You guys do know of course, that any Warn winch (VR Series etc...) other than Warn's Premium or Ultra Series are also built in China. Probably out of the same factory that Smitty's come from. Not trying to argue, just sayin ...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You guys do know of course, that any Warn winch (VR Series etc...) other than Warn's Premium or Ultra Series are also built in China. Probably out of the same factory that Smitty's come from. Not trying to argue, just sayin ...

You do know of course that I say as much ALL THE TIME. I take it you're new to the forum. :naw:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Yup and they are junk just like the smitty. I bet teraflex is built at the same place as well!

Numbnuts

Yep, I've only been on this forum for about three weeks or so. Sure do like your movies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom