Which locker for new PR 44?

BBrown626

I have an '11 Rubicon with 35's and looking to go to 37's. Need some help choosing the correct path.

On my factory axle I added LCA skids, gussets and sleeves. Also has 4.88 gears. I'd think the axle would be a great upgrade for non-Rubicon Jeep. If it is a good upgrade option for somebody else, then keeping it in tact might be a good idea for resale.

Aside from the above, is there a benefit to ditching the factory locker and going with an Eaton or ARB or is the factory locker strong enough?

Would I likely be better off moving all my factory internals to the new housing? I'd save the cost of new axle shafts and a locker.

Thank you,

Brent

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The factory locker isn't strong enough for 37's. It will last for a little while but eventually will fail. I would personally go with arb as it has been proven to be the best. The "new" eaton air locker is the old arb design so if you go with that you know your still getting a good locker.

07JKSahara

Hands down the ARB is stronger and engages/disengages better. The Rubi lockers can stick locked for a second if you don't use them all the time (my wife's jeep.). If you have the cash, ARB is hands down better.... But..... If I ever go PR44 I'll keep the rubi internals. The cost difference is pretty big and the mopar parts don't suck, they're just not as good. Do you already have OBA or would you need to address that as well?

BBrown626

Hands down the ARB is stronger and engages/disengages better. The Rubi lockers can stick locked for a second if you don't use them all the time (my wife's jeep.). If you have the cash, ARB is hands down better.... But..... If I ever go PR44 I'll keep the rubi internals. The cost difference is pretty big and the mopar parts don't suck, they're just not as good. Do you already have OBA or would you need to address that as well?

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an onboard compressor, but not a tank and pressure switch. I'd have to add those for an ARB.

BBrown626

The factory locker isn't strong enough for 37's. It will last for a little while but eventually will fail. I would personally go with arb as it has been proven to be the best. The "new" eaton air locker is the old arb design so if you go with that you know your still getting a good locker.

Thank you for the feedback.

07JKSahara

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an onboard compressor, but not a tank and pressure switch. I'd have to add those for an ARB.

You won't need a tank for lockers, you'll need a solenoid and manifold, but if you already have air and don't line the extra spend, the ARB is the way to go.

Spudcannons

I went with the ARB in my new PR44. It came with everything needed for the install of the lockers. The ARB compressor that came with the 2 locker special has enough ports that you don't need a manifold to use it for both locks with another connection for filling tires ect.

seanb123

Simple answer as everyone said the factory Locker won't hold up its best to sell it while it still works.

Looking on northridge ARB and eaton are about the same. I put the eaton in about a year ago and have been very happy. I wasn't a huge fan of airline I liked the idea of taking the compressor out of the equation. If you have an ARB compressor then it's a no brainier but if you don't you can have an instant lock and possibly get a power plant for filling up tires or borrow from a friend. Just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

My wife's Jeep has an E-Locker and I think it's a turd... I'd rather run the factory locker than an Eaton. The lock time is slow (up to 180 degrees) and every-time you change directions you have to spin one wheel 180 degrees to be locked again. Additionally, the wires are only sealed via a grommet that is prone to leaks and the connector pins corrode easily.

I screwed up my rear factory locker and put an ARB in it's place. It activates near instantly and once locked stays locked. The only think I don't like about an air locker is the slip ring. I worry the seals will wear quickly. In truth, this is just me being paranoid as they seem to be holding up for everyone just fine.

I would either go with the ARB or run the factory locker.

Top Bottom