proper oil reading

srosario

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435517708.726241.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435517766.148370.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435517795.476449.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435517795.476449.jpg

ok, so im one of the many thay has yo add a quart of oil monthly, i just have a question on reading the oil stick, oil looks like its on the safe zone but there is a gap right before the s, should the oil stick be completely soaked to get a reading or it being have mark fine?

I see what you're looking at and it looks like it may be low but it also looks like you just pulled the dipstick out without really cleaning the residual oil off. If you did that then you may not be getting the best reading.

Usually the oil marks the entire width of the dipstick. In your pic it looks like it marked the entire width a bit below the lower line but I also see a full width mark in the lower hash of the safe zone. Follow the steps below (if you haven't already) to get a possibly better reading.

Don't take this the wrong way- I'm trying to help... If this nothing new, sorry for the redundancy.

Never take a hot oil sample. Wait about 10 minutes after you shut the engine off to take a reading. This allows the oil to drop back into the pan from all the higher points in your engine.

When you pull out the oil dipstick for a level check, pull it out through a rag. Wipe it completely off as it leaves the tube. (This gets any residual oil off the dipstick and will make the next reading more accurate.)

Stick the oil dipstick back in the tube and seat it completely. Then pull it out but don't wipe it off. The oil level will mark the stick wherever it does.

Look at the level and determine if it is within the "safe" zone. Anywhere above the lowest line but not over the upper most line is good.

If the level is below the lower line, add 1 quart.

Again, just trying to help. Not trying to talk down to you about how to take an oil reading. Some people may not know. I was taught, not born with the knowledge. Hope this helps.

srosario

thanks for the response,
i dont get offended, don't worry, im trying to learn

those are the steps that i follow and the damn stick still doesn't mark the entire width, so i guess i have to add more oil until the full width is on the safe zone, but then the stick would have a half mark like 4 inches on top of the safe zone which i should disregard.
is these correct? thanks again.

thanks for the response,
i dont get offended, don't worry, im trying to learn

those are the steps that i follow and the damn stick still doesn't mark the entire width, so i guess i have to add more oil until the full width is on the safe zone, but then the stick would have a half mark like 4 inches on top of the safe zone which i should disregard.
is these correct? thanks again.

Sounds correct. Disregard the mark way up the stick. Put in a half quart and check it. If it looks low to you add the rest. Worst case (if you just can't tell) you could always just change the oil. That way you know for sure how much is in there. But I think you'll be fine adding 1/2 to 1 quart.

Top Bottom