2012 JK unlimited rubican Stalls in 4 hi and lost all grers in auto trans

Nick Zambo

2012 jk rubi unlimited stalls and lost all gears in auto trans

Saturday was about 90 degrees F or 32C. while out on a moderately difficult trail in the back country driving along in 4 hi for about 1.5 hours at 6 mph or 10 kph and the occasional shift to 4 low for some of the bumps and hills. I was not doing anything that would lead me to believe I was over working the trans or motor the temp in the cabin read normal. I came to the trials end when I put the jeep in reverse to back up the jeep stalled so I shifted to neutral and fired it up again went back into drive and nothing, then shifted into reverse and nothing no gears, I then shut down the jeep waited 30 seconds and fire it back up again this time I had all gears but it was like the brakes were on at first. I drove it back down the trail and came to a bridge that I had to cross with a small 8 inch bump up or step up. I bumped the jeep up over the step were it stalled again, and again in 4 hi. At this point I shifted the Jeep to 4 low and drove it to the trail head. and had no problems until I shifted back to 2wd and again no gears, as I tried to manually shift through 1-5 and reverse nothing happened, it slowly then began to crawl forward when I went back to drive . I took the jeep up the up the gravel road about 100 yards then stopped and tried reverse once again and once again nothing after a few seconds it started to move in reverse. once back at highway speed very thing seemed to operate fine or as good as it has ever been. So I am wondering what might have caused these issues? Should have added no check engine light cane on during this.

Last edited:

colo dean

Did you check the fluid level in the trans? Low fluid wouldn't cause the stall, but could keep you from moving. Just my thoughts.

Nick Zambo

Funny you should ask. I popped the hood open and looked for the trans dip stick only not to find one? And that kind of stump me. So I am not really sure how to check it. It was just in 6 months ago for the 4x4 service. Is everyone running stock fluid in their own jeep or are others running after market performance fluids and a trans cooler?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
No dash lights of any kind? If you go into limp mode it locks Tranny in 2nd and won't let you shift it even manually. But this usually lights up something in dash

jeeeep

Hooked
Funny you should ask. I popped the hood open and looked for the trans dip stick only not to find one? And that kind of stump me. So I am not really sure how to check it. It was just in 6 months ago for the 4x4 service. Is everyone running stock fluid in their own jeep or are others running after market performance fluids and a trans cooler?

the transmission dip stick should be near the firewall on the passenger side. If it's not there, look for signs of fluid on the engine and firewall on the passenger side.

Possible the place you had it serviced did not put the dip stick back in and the fluid level is now low. a low fluid level will have the symptoms you've described

Nick Zambo

No dash lights of any kind? If you go into limp mode it locks Tranny in 2nd and won't let you shift it even manually. But this usually lights up something in dash

Possibly why it felt like the brakes were on when I tried to drive it in 4 hi. It would be a lot harder to start in second gear in 4 high and is likely why it work better in 4 low. No light at all.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nick Zambo

the transmission dip stick should be near the firewall on the passenger side. If it's not there, look for signs of fluid on the engine and firewall on the passenger side.

Possible the place you had it serviced did not put the dip stick back in and the fluid level is now low. a low fluid level will have the symptoms you've described

I will head down there now and have a look. I never thought to pull the engine cover off.

Thanks hoping it's there and I don't have a messed up trans.

So this dip stick found the dip stick under the engine cover. Check the fluid it seemed full and it didn't smell burnt, it was a pink-ish colour with a hint of very light brown. No grit when I rub it with my fingers.

Not sure about the stalling problem though any ideas?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom