July 4th, Truckee, CA

jesse3638

Hooked
For the first time in 13 years I'm actually going to have the 4th of July off. I'm excited and planning to head to Truckee for the weekend with my girlfriend to visit her grandparents. I have to head home sooner than she does therefore we are going to take two vehicles. I plan on taking the Jeep and my question is naked or not? I'm used to running around naked all summer but haven't taken a 7 hour trip like that before. I plan on taking Hwy-395 so once I'm clear of the desert it shouldn't be too hot. I do carry a tarp to cover up in case of any T-storm. I was thinking of taking the freedom panels in case I encounter any weather while driving. They may keep a bit of the rain out of the dash. Any opinions would be great and anyone in the area maybe we can meet up Friday night. Her boys are all for it! They can't wait to go out with the doors off...haha.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For the first time in 13 years I'm actually going to have the 4th of July off. I'm excited and planning to head to Truckee for the weekend with my girlfriend to visit her grandparents. I have to head home sooner than she does therefore we are going to take two vehicles. I plan on taking the Jeep and my question is naked or not? I'm used to running around naked all summer but haven't taken a 7 hour trip like that before. I plan on taking Hwy-395 so once I'm clear of the desert it shouldn't be too hot. I do carry a tarp to cover up in case of any T-storm. I was thinking of taking the freedom panels in case I encounter any weather while driving. They may keep a bit of the rain out of the dash. Any opinions would be great and anyone in the area maybe we can meet up Friday night. Her boys are all for it! They can't wait to go out with the doors off...haha.

Don't do it. I just drove from San Diego to Tahoe with no top. It was hot as FAWK!

jesse3638

Hooked
Don't do it. I just drove from San Diego to Tahoe with no top. It was hot as FAWK!

Well my mind was made up I just came to get differing advice from others in hopes to argue I'm gonna do it...haha..kidding. Actually I've made the trek from Apple Valley to Crowly Lake with no top and it was a comfortable 110 so I know what you mean about hot. That was only a 4 hour drive. Maybe I'll get a lava jacket but crank the AC..;). I'm more concerned about the wind and whether or not that would be bearable for a long trip. At least with doors on it helps keep it off your face.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well thought I had dodged a bullet but today the sky's opened up after Truckee's 4th of July parade. No top and no doors combined with heavy thunderstorms and assisting a stranded bicyclist made for a very wet commute. Hopefully all will be fine once I get some sun on things and the interior drys out..haha. Regardless of the weather it's still been awesome.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well made it home finally. Got in just before 11:30pm last night. The final tally was 948 miles (started my trip odo 26 miles into my journey ) round trip running naked through the Sierras. It was a blast only got soaked twice but encountered more than a few t-storms. I was fine as long as I was moving but as soon as I'd stop forget it. My homemade sun shade wasn't keeping anyone dry. Thanks again Eddie and Cindy for the tour of camp Wayalife. My short stop there kept me out of the t-storm at Topaz lake. Unfortunately the one in Lee Vinning though otherwise. I'd have been fine had I not had to stop for 5+ mins at the one way section in a torrential downpour..haha. Oh well the 90°+ temps at 9pm past little lake dried me out..haha. I know now I need to keep paper towels in the glove box to dry the inside of the windshield.

1436202243789.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom