Side to side sway?

xotunlimited

I have a 2007 JK Unlimited. It has a Rough Country 4" X-Series suspension lift on it. My problem I am having is on uneven or grooved roads the jeep "sways" left and right pretty hard. Enough to throw you against the door in some instances. I have performed the alignment I found in this forum and changed my caster to where it doesn't effect the steering as bad as it used to. The only thing that is a question is my rear axle is 3/4" out to the driver side with the jeep empty (no one in it). I still have the stock rear track bar with the relocation bracket. Stock sway bars as well. I have 35 x 12.5 x 20 Cooper Discoverer STT tires. Any recommendations? Also I have the Rough Country 2.2 shocks all around as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your axle being off will NOT effect your handling in this way. Did you install the dropped pitman arm they include with the kit and if so, did you make sure to install the track bar drop bracket as well? BOTH need to be installed.

xotunlimited

Yes on the drop bracket. And it doesn't come with a new Pittman arm. However I changed that when I rebuilt the front end after death wobble issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes on the drop bracket. And it doesn't come with a new Pittman arm. However I changed that when I rebuilt the front end after death wobble issues.

So, you do have BOTH a dropped pitman arm AND track bar relocation bracket, correct? That or a drag link flip and a track bar relocation bracket will do the trick.

The problem I'm having is the body rocking side to side. Almost like the suspension is too soft.

Maybe it is too soft. The RC shocks are just old school hydros. You do still have your sway bar links connected, right? Also, are you sure you didn't get MORE than 4" of lift with your kit as so many kits end up having? 4" is a TALL lift for 35's and I personally wouldn't run anything more than 2.5" for that size tire. At 4" of lift or more, you really should be running long arms to help correct your suspension geometry.

xotunlimited

I did not buy or install the kit, it was on the Jeep when we purchased it 3 years ago (along with the 35" tires). I am saying what it is by the kits they have on their website and what is installed on my Jeep. So I assume it's the 4" because that is all they offer in a kit with what is on mine. This is not the long arm kit, they sell those too but come with totally different parts. There isn't an upper track bar drop bracket on it (doesn't come with one) nor does it come with a dropped pittman arm. (evidently RC doesn't think it needs that?) It does have an adjustable track bar, and there is nothing in their installation that shows flipping the the drag link.

WillyJKU14

I did not buy or install the kit, it was on the Jeep when we purchased it 3 years ago (along with the 35" tires). I am saying what it is by the kits they have on their website and what is installed on my Jeep. So I assume it's the 4" because that is all they offer in a kit with what is on mine. This is not the long arm kit, they sell those too but come with totally different parts. There isn't an upper track bar drop bracket on it (doesn't come with one) nor does it come with a dropped pittman arm. (evidently RC doesn't think it needs that?) It does have an adjustable track bar, and there is nothing in their installation that shows flipping the the drag link.

First I am no expert on Jeep parts. Bought my first jeep last year and have done all the work on my jeep myself. I would look into replacing your springs and shocks. Just sounds like it's not a quality kit. I installed the 3" evo enforcer kit with fox shocks on my unlimited. Running 35 trail grapplers. I think the kit runs better than stock.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That's odd. I've installed one of their 4" lift kit years ago and it came with both a dropped pitman arm and track bar relocation bracket. If you're just running an adjustable track bar with that much lift, that won't help anything as your steering geometry will be way off.

xotunlimited

Talked with Rough Country and they don't do extended pittman arm until 6" lifts. The suspect bad shock(s) might be causing the problem. I have the 2.2 Rough Country shocks right now. Any recommendations for a good shock for highway driving. This is a daily driver.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Talked with Rough Country and they don't do extended pittman arm until 6" lifts. The suspect bad shock(s) might be causing the problem. I have the 2.2 Rough Country shocks right now. Any recommendations for a good shock for highway driving. This is a daily driver.

They are liars, the pitman arm is included even in their 3.5" kit. Just saying

Attachments

• 1435676829917.jpg
    1435676829917.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 1435676840595.jpg
    1435676840595.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 106

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL! Glad to see I'm not crazy.

Anyway, as far as shocks go, I personally like the new Rancho 7000MT's but, a lot of guys on here like the adjustable 9000's. Of course, there are a lot more options out there if you're willing to spend the money but really, I doubt it'll help with your problem. Bad shocks will give you a bouncy ride but not side to side sway. :crazyeyes:

xotunlimited

Ok forget that. I didn't specify that they don't put them in the x-series until 6". Nobody lied that was my mis speaking not theirs. They are standing tall and are working with me. We are trying some things and will post it here when I figure it out.

Smwells

First I am no expert on Jeep parts. Bought my first jeep last year and have done all the work on my jeep myself. I would look into replacing your springs and shocks. Just sounds like it's not a quality kit. I installed the 3" evo enforcer kit with fox shocks on my unlimited. Running 35 trail grapplers. I think the kit runs better than stock.
I am running the same exact kit enforcer 3" with drag link flip kit from evo also trail grapplers 35". I do however have some wandering on the road and hard braking on the freeway sends her into a tough cookie to handle. I havent had it aligned yet going in to get that done hoping it clears the issues.

xotunlimited

Here is what I have done to solve my problem. The first thing I did was an alignment on my garage floor using the procedures I found on here and a digital angle finder. I actually wound up with more than the 4.2 degrees that is factory which helped tremendously in the overall steering (Tried a lot more but got some driveline vibration). I also found an article on another site ( It may also be on this one too but didn't see it here about vehicle weight to tire ply for air pressure and let the pressure way down. Wow what an improvement as well in the steering, but I still had the side to side sway and after speaking with customer service at Rough Country we went over EVERY possible problem and came to shocks. They sent me out a new set (Warranty) and after bolting them on I now have a brand new jeep. Not even close to the way it was before. The old 2.2 shocks had gotten soft.

NV375

Edit: Apparently I did not read the last post correctly. I thought it was someone other than the OP.

If you think it is TB related check the factory bracket where it attaches to the frame. The original owner of my '07JKUX apparently tore it loose. When I bought it it had horrible non factory welds on it.

I really don't think this is your problem but only takes a few seconds and no cost to look at.

The '07 I bought had tens of thousands of miles of go fast through the dessert. It was not setup for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom