Hydraulic winches

Spudcannons

I just saw some hydraulic winches offered by Mile Marker that run off the power steering. Does anyone have experience with them?

I just saw some hydraulic winches offered by Mile Marker that run off the power steering. Does anyone have experience with them?

I haven't seen these, but my thoughts are the stock power steering has enough problems staying cool and working just turning tires... I'd hate to add any more load.

Edit: Holy price Batman! I think I will just keep a good electric winch :yup:

Last edited:

Spudcannons

I haven't seen these, but my thoughts are the stock power steering has enough problems staying cool and working just turning tires... I'd hate to add any more load.

Edit: Holy price Batman! I think I will just keep a good electric winch :yup:

I know the price is insane! :eek: I had not seen one before so I was wondering the benefits since there does not seem to be much info on them. Don't think I would ever buy one even if it were golden.

I know the price is insane! :eek: I had not seen one before so I was wondering the benefits since there does not seem to be much info on them. Don't think I would ever buy one even if it were golden.

When I did some tow truck and re-po work years ago the truck had a hydraulic winch. The damn thing would pull the truck apart if you were not careful. Using it was a PITA though (it was a typical idle-up PTO driven pump). I would assume you would need to idle up with one of these as well, but really don't know. I think this is a place where I would stick with what is known to work.

LeighP

For a while, these were semi popular here in Australia. Price is a major concern, they're expensive.

Pros - continuous line pull.....no duty cycle.
Cons - engine has to be running, usually, its steer or pull - there is a priority valve in the supply that feeds steering over the winch.

Personally, unless I was doing a huge amount of winching, I wouldn't buy one.

Grubbicon

When I did some tow truck and re-po work years ago the truck had a hydraulic winch. The damn thing would pull the truck apart if you were not careful.

I was about to comment this right here. My dad runs a towing company and he has one on his roll back. It is insanely powerful. He had a hook he had put in the bed of the truck with a grade 8 bolt and I watched it snap the grade 8 bolt clean off with no hesitation.

Brent McCartney

I have a hydraulic winch on the front of my 26,000 lbs bucket truck. It will pull a fully loaded truck out of a ditch. But think the weight would be too much for a JK.

bekel

had one

had a mile marker 9k hyd winch on my 94 yj for about 10+ years it still works. It is a very strong winch and will pull for ever but is really really slow. I changed it out to the 8274

Top Bottom