Help!! Jk not starting. Not battery or starter.

mjones

Driving the jeep home from work yesterday in the rain, made a turn hit a splash puddle and the engine died and wouldn't re-fire.

Things I have checked
Codes from OBD port - no codes found
Codes through Jeep diagnostics - message on dash - DONE
still turns over strong
acting like its out of gas, have a half tank and added more just to be safe
will be checking spark shortly - easy enough to do.
not sure how to check for fuel pump
Since no codes removed the negative battery cable.

mjones

confirmed no water, pulled plugs, checked throttle body, intake and all the goodies.. nothing..
Still not throwing any codes

FuriousDz

I did check the fuel pump fuse..
I did not see one for the ignition system

This is going to sound stupid but it actually happened on my JK. The battery for the key fob was weak and caused some sort of lock out. Try locking and unlocking. I know sounds stupid but give it a shot

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your sending unit is in the gas tank I seriously doubt that is your problem. Sounds like you're not getting fuel to your motor and I would look for and follow the lines under the tub around the passenger side of your Jeep. Maybe the water or something in it pulled something apart.

confirmed no water, pulled plugs, checked throttle body, intake and all the goodies.. nothing..
Still not throwing any codes

Pull a plug, ground the housing and have someone crank the engine while you watch for a spark. (I have a spark tester like the one shown below). DON'T HOLD THE PLUG! At the same time try to see if you smell any fuel after you crank it some.

This should help you at least identify if it is a fuel or spark issue.

It sounds like it died suddenly, this being the case I doubt it is a fuel pump. Even if it died quickly, I would have expected some stutter before the stall.

OTC6589.jpg

T&ERun

LOSER
Someone mentioned above about water being in the intake. If water splashed into the intake the box could have water in it and the filter could be saturated not letting air through. Just something else easy to check

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using WAYALIFE mobile app

thardy

Banned
Someone mentioned above about water being in the intake. If water splashed into the intake the box could have water in it and the filter could be saturated not letting air through. Just something else easy to check

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I believe he verified that earlier.

At this point, need to verify if it's getting spark and fuel.

mjones

Thanks everyone. I bypassed the relay and the fuel pump was running. But when it wasn't being jumped it didn't turn on. So that tells me it's the fuel pump relay. Now have to find it. Has to be one somewhere or linked to one of the existing.

thardy

Banned
Thanks everyone. I bypassed the relay and the fuel pump was running. But when it wasn't being jumped it didn't turn on. So that tells me it's the fuel pump relay. Now have to find it. Has to be one somewhere or linked to one of the existing.

What year rig?

mjones

its a 2007.. i went to the local auto parts just to see if they had a fuel relay. Advanced auto said no there isn't one listed. NAPA had one and the Jeep Dealer said it was all part of the TIPM. So searches began on TIPM.. seems like it is more than likely what is causing the issue. I have had several electrical gremlins along the road. When speaking with a tech at Jeep he thought it was as well. He did tell me to install it myself and save tons of money. He quoted approx 1500 for part and install.. part 600 includes core. I will have a write up on how to do it for those that may come across similar issues.

http://www.chryslerproblems.com/trends/tipm/

thardy

Banned
its a 2007.. i went to the local auto parts just to see if they had a fuel relay. Advanced auto said no there isn't one listed. NAPA had one and the Jeep Dealer said it was all part of the TIPM. So searches began on TIPM.. seems like it is more than likely what is causing the issue. I have had several electrical gremlins along the road. When speaking with a tech at Jeep he thought it was as well. He did tell me to install it myself and save tons of money. He quoted approx 1500 for part and install.. part 600 includes core. I will have a write up on how to do it for those that may come across similar issues.

Yeah, that's what I've found as well. Good luck man! Hope it isn't too difficult for you.

RAH

It is correct that there is no relay. It is part of the I had an issue similar and it turned out to be the little pigtail on the tank for the fuel pump. Cheap part easy install.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Ah, 2007. Oh yeah, seen a few JK's from back then have the TIPM problem. Thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing your write-up :yup:

Top Bottom