Limp mode after axle install

Spudcannons

I installed my axles and programmed the new gear ratio in and took it for a test drive. It started cutting power when accelerating and is worst after turning. The only thing I can think of is the e-brake on the passenger side was taken out when one of the pins broke. the driver side is installed and hooked up and possibly stuck would this cause a limp or surging? There are no codes but it will activate the traction control light.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I installed my axles and programmed the new gear ratio in and took it for a test drive. It started cutting power when accelerating and is worst after turning. The only thing I can think of is the e-brake on the passenger side was taken out when one of the pins broke. the driver side is installed and hooked up and possibly stuck would this cause a limp or surging? There are no codes but it will activate the traction control light.

I would redo the tune and make sure you put the right gear ratio into it.

Kalums

Which tuner are you using? Did you make sure you had the latest software? Was the tuner used or new? Just my 0.02

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Aev procal I have not updated it. I will check that out.

The aev doesn't need to be updated. Being that you do have that tho I would definitely make sure you put in the right ratio. With the switches it can get tricky or put in the wrong one easily

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't cause the jeep to go into limp mode.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it would on a 2012-up. Of course, improper gear ratio/tire size programming is typically the number one reason for going into limp mode after an axle install.

Spudcannons

The programmer was screwing the pooch, it took 3 tries for it to work. Now that that is squared away the ABS light stays on :banghead:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The programmer was screwing the pooch, it took 3 tries for it to work. Now that that is squared away the ABS light stays on :banghead:

Clear your codes or disconnect your neg batter lead for 15-20 min. If the ABS light comes back and stays on, you may have a bad speed sensor.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually, I'm pretty sure it would on a 2012-up. Of course, improper gear ratio/tire size programming is typically the number one reason for going into limp mode after an axle install.

Yea on the 12+ it does. But it sounds like gear ratio to me. Both these things happened to me. :(

We are talking wheel speed sensor correct? I've had two go bad and never been thrown into limp mode.

We are talking wheel speed sensor correct? I've had two go bad and never been thrown into limp mode.

Yes. I've had one go bad and it put mine in limp mode...but hey my jeep may not be the most reliable source jeep :cheesy:

But it did happen while back when I first swapped in my 60's.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes. I've had one go bad and it put mine in limp mode...but hey my jeep may not be the most reliable source jeep :cheesy:

But it did happen while back when I first swapped in my 60's.

Weird. Wonder why that is. Actually I have the wheel speed sensor unplugged right now and no issues.

I've sliced the speed sensor wires too and no limp mode.

Three if we include slicing them. :bleh:

Top Bottom