Coilover VS coils

metalic

I know a lot of you guys run coilovers but what are the advantages over coils other than high speed whoops? Is there an advantage when your in the midwest trails or rocks?

A friend is wanting to go with Evo kings and we was discussing and from my understanding of what I've read is our wheeling around here I don't see the advantage especially with the cost associated.

Please advise me if i'm not understanding the advantage correct.

Also Is there any pro's vs con's of the two?

Thanks

Spudcannons

I know a lot of you guys run coilovers but what are the advantages over coils other than high speed whoops? Is there an advantage when your in the midwest trails or rocks?

A friend is wanting to go with Evo kings and we was discussing and from my understanding of what I've read is our wheeling around here I don't see the advantage especially with the cost associated.

Please advise me if i'm not understanding the advantage correct.

Also Is there any pro's vs con's of the two?

Thanks

More travel, ride better, you will never loose a coil-over like you can a spring. Others will know more.

metalic

More travel, ride better, you will never loose a coil-over like you can a spring. Others will know more.

I understand a coilover can unseat but if a coil is set up right I would think travel difference would be minimal. I'm talking b bolt on not something like the evo lever that's just sick and amazing.

Spudcannons

I understand a coilover can unseat but if a coil is set up right I would think travel difference would be minimal. I'm talking b bolt on not something like the evo lever that's just sick and amazing.

It would take an amazing amount of force to do that, highly unlikely. there is a difference my shocks travel 10.5" and a 12" coil will do 12" obviously so you do gain travel where you would loose a coil at that droop. Coil-overs also are a true dual rate since they have multiple springs and you can fine tune the rates and change out the spring loads ect, lots of tinkering can be done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even with the EVO bolt on coil over setup, you will still get MORE travel and still have a lower stance as the frame mount is relocated and sits physically higher up. You simply cannot make a coil and shock setup have the same low stance and still have the same amount of up travel that a coil over can. Also, if it is a concern, you can do a better job of setting up your coils to hold up weight than you could with a dual rate, triple rate or progressive rate coil. That being said, for your purposes, a standard coil and shock setup is most likely all you really need.

BDP849

Even with the EVO bolt on coil over setup, you will still get MORE travel and still have a lower stance as the frame mount is relocated and sits physically higher up. You simply cannot make a coil and shock setup have the same low stance and still have the same amount of up travel that a coil over can. Also, if it is a concern, you can do a better job of setting up your coils to hold up weight than you could with a dual rate, triple rate or progressive rate coil. That being said, for your purposes, a standard coil and shock setup is most likely all you really need.

Strait to the point no bullshit answer, good job Eddie.

Coil-overs intimidate me... I don't know enough about them to feel like I can tune them and get the best performance. A spring/shock set-up is easier for me to maintain in winter salted areas (I think).

I already admitted to not knowing much, but it seems to me coil-overs biggest advantage is moving over rough terrain at speed. I am more of a slow old man and drive accordingly ;)

metalic

It would take an amazing amount of force to do that, highly unlikely. there is a difference my shocks travel 10.5" and a 12" coil will do 12" obviously so you do gain travel where you would loose a coil at that droop. Coil-overs also are a true dual rate since they have multiple springs and you can fine tune the rates and change out the spring loads ect, lots of tinkering can be done.

I was using my phone and that was supposed to say a coilover won't unseat like a coil

metalic

That helps a lot.

One more question is I currently run a 3" lift on 35's with cut fenders and had to bumpstop.

I understand you run a longer coilover with the raised frame mount. With a low stance i can see the increased down travel but how does it gain uptravel as I would think the bumpstops wouldn't change.

I appreciate all the great info as i'm trying to get a grasp on all this.

Thanks
again

Spudcannons

That helps a lot.

One more question is I currently run a 3" lift on 35's with cut fenders and had to bumpstop.

I understand you run a longer coilover with the raised frame mount. With a low stance i can see the increased down travel but how does it gain uptravel as I would think the bumpstops wouldn't change.

Thanks
again

The bumpstops move up too.

dyn0mitemat

Not if they're keeping tires out of your fenders or wheel wells, in which case it doesn't matter what you do with springs and shocks, you use less bumpstop and you'll be eating tire

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I already admitted to not knowing much, but it seems to me coil-overs biggest advantage is moving over rough terrain at speed. I am more of a slow old man and drive accordingly ;)

A person will always drive as fast as they feel comfortable. The thing about a good coil over setup is that you won't even realize that you're driving A LOT faster than you normally would because your Jeep WILL feel that much more comfortable.

Thanks
again

While bump stop extensions will help prevent rubbing at a full stuff, the primary purpose of them is to help prevent the over compression of your coils. This is why kits typically come with an extension that is about the same height as the amount of lift. In the case of a coil over, you want to run as much bump stop extension as is needed to help prevent the bottoming out of your coil overs and being that the EVO kit has a higher mounting point, you can set your extensions or air bumps higher as well.

Not if they're keeping tires out of your fenders or wheel wells, in which case it doesn't matter what you do with springs and shocks, you use less bumpstop and you'll be eating tire

This is the reason why you would need to run flat fenders or trimmed fenders - to gain more up travel. I run 40" tires with 3.5" of lift on my EVO DTD - it can be done.

TheDuff

And that is why you only would run the minimum bumpstop height that keeps the tires out of the fenders. With cut fenders, it would be less than 3" on 35s. I know for a fact 2" in the rear and 2.5 up front leaves room with 35s. Assuming of course the coilover will allow you to run bumpstops shorter than that.

metalic

I have a better understanding now. I wish I lived closer and could check it out in person to get a better grasp. I flew to San Diego last year for work and went out a few days earlier than I needed and was thinking about renting a car and driving up to ORE. I wish I would've now.

My only thing is I run RK 2.5 (netted a lil over 3") and run 2" of bumpstop on cut flares, and Bilstein that are the length they recomend. After looking at a pic of mine bumped again I need to check my shocks when stuffed as I still have room in my fender.

Going from 3" enforcer to bolt on's about how much more travel is gained?

TheDuff

My only thing is I run RK 2.5 (netted a lil over 3") and run 2" of bumpstop on cut flares, and Bilstein that are the length they recomend. After looking at a pic of mine bumped again I need to check my shocks when stuffed as I still have room in my fender.

So in that case, you have 2 things to look at: first, that you have room before bottoming out the shock and second, that your coils won't go solid. :beer:

metalic

Is it correct that you want to bump about an inch before shock bottoms out? If not how much before?

Wayalife,
Say Kings that are sized for the 3" enforcer?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it correct that you want to bump about an inch before shock bottoms out? If not how much before?

With a standard coil and shock, NO. You want your bump stop extensions to be about the same height as the amount of lift you have. AGAIN, this is to help prevent your coils from OVERCOMPRESSING as in, they get squashed down to the point where they do NOT return to their original height. The fact that they also help to prevent rubbing is just a perk.

Say Kings that are sized for the 3" enforcer?

I don't know the exact amount but you WILL see a bit more droop and for sure more stuff with bolt on coil overs. That being said, the Enforcer kit with King shocks will actually offer a BETTER ride than the bolt on coil overs.

Top Bottom