2015 Wrangled Rubicon

GS-RON

Hi, joined for the trip reports and vids. Stayed for the info.

A question for the experienced. I currently own a 2011 FJ (ducking for cover) Cruiser with an automatic transmission. I'm tired of riding the brakes in the mountains even with the trans manually shifted to low. Monitoring the trans temp also gets old.

How well does the auto trans hold up in the new Jeeps? Does it have a separate cooler from the radiator Does the Jeep auto trans get warm/hot in the hills? Would I be better off with the 6speed manual?

Semi local there's a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon with a manual trans and the hard top. Nothing else. I believe it even has manual windows. The dealer has it listed for less than 30K.

I like the idea of the solid axles, low gears and lockers. I also like Toyota reliability. 450,000 miles on the last 3 with ZERO repairs.

I known it sounds weak but talk me into or out of it if you can. I'm on the fence and need a push.

Thanx,
Ron in Paradise.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I haven't owned an FJ, but I did own a 1/2Ton pickup before it was called the Tacoma, then went to an 04 TJ 2 door manual, 6.0L, it was great as long as the gearing is correct for the tire size. I now have a 4 door JK and am amazed by it's capability right off the lot, and I only have a sport. The Rubicon has the D44 front, lockers, disco swaybar, and the transfer case and I've heard many people love it. Sounds like a pretty good deal for what you get, of course milage can play into it when estimating the cost off the lot. My last TJ went to 160k before I sold it and only needed recommended service before I sold it, aside from the parts I broke wheeling it. My new JKU only has a 2.5" lift and I got 35s on it with trimmed fenders, I had to put 6" on the old TJ to get as much clearance. I've been extremely happy with my Jeeps and will likely continue to stick with them for a long time. I have an auto trans now so I can't comment on how the manual would perform, but I do know that correct gearing will make a big difference. Just my $.02 :yup:

Top Bottom