What's needed for a soft top?

david3377

So the jeep I own has never had a soft top but I'm looking to pick one up in the next day or two... what else will I need if I purchase one used or even new?

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I think you'll just need door surrounds . If you get used and someone includes, you're good. If you get a new OEM replacement I don't believe it comes with surrounds. If you got Trektop, it comes with surrounds. As far as I know 😄👍🏻

Wardell

Also, if you get a used OEM soft top make sure you get the mounting brackets too. A lot of people leave these on their roll bars when they sell off their old top, not realizing they should go with the top. If you get a new top these are probably included, but you should double check to make sure.

Some aftermarket tops have a separate header bar as well. What kind of top are you looking to buy?

david3377

I found one on that's off an 08. It has everything with it except I'll need door surrounds from that year instead of one's for my 2011 if I've read that correctly on the Internet... which mounting brackets am I looking for that you're talking about Wardell?

scull20

I found one on that's off an 08. It has everything with it except I'll need door surrounds from that year instead of one's for my 2011 if I've read that correctly on the Internet... which mounting brackets am I looking for that you're talking about Wardell?

This is what the brackets look like attached the back roll bar. There's a small Velcro patch you'll have to open up and attach the bracket with two bolts per side. Make sure the brackets and the bolts are included with the top.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435973538.064604.jpg

scull20

Awesome thank you so much!

Glad to help. Just note that the brackets are specific to the left and right side. The bows for the top should be attached to those brackets and pivot inside the holes when raising and lowering the top.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Also, if you get a used OEM soft top make sure you get the mounting brackets too. A lot of people leave these on their roll bars when they sell off their old top, not realizing they should go with the top. If you get a new top these are probably included, but you should double check to make sure.

Some aftermarket tops have a separate header bar as well. What kind of top are you looking to buy?

I learned something new! Thanks for the additional info 😄👍🏻

Wardell

This is what the brackets look like attached the back roll bar. There's a small Velcro patch you'll have to open up and attach the bracket with two bolts per side. Make sure the brackets and the bolts are included with the top.

Yup, those are the ones I was referring to. You beat me to it. :)

Glad to help. Just note that the brackets are specific to the left and right side. The bows for the top should be attached to those brackets and pivot inside the holes when raising and lowering the top.

I learned something new! Thanks for the additional info 

Glad to help. :) Cheers.

scull20

You can buy replacement ones, I looked into this previously when I bought my soft top incase they weren't on there. I seem to remember they were not exactly cheap...something like $75-$100, but I could be wrong.

Best bet would be to contact the seller ahead of time to ensure those brackets and the bolts to attach them to the bars are included.

Wardell

If she doesn't have them, I'd probably be able to buy them somewhere correct?

Yup. Quadratec has them on their website, so that's one option.

By the way, apparently they're called "soft top bow brackets." Now I learned something.

opendieforger

I have what you need

I have top with all hardware from a 2012 thats been in storage in Pittsburgh. Not sure where you are but $200 takes it all Mike

david3377

I have top with all hardware from a 2012 thats been in storage in Pittsburgh. Not sure where you are but $200 takes it all Mike

Hmmm that is very intriguing. Ended up passing on hers as she wasn't including alot of hardware... I'm in Ontario that's the only problem with getting it from Pittsburgh...

jjlong

Hmmm that is very intriguing. Ended up passing on hers as she wasn't including alot of hardware... I'm in Ontario that's the only problem with getting it from Pittsburgh...

I have one with all the hardware for $200. I'm near Ontario, Ca. Are you in the same Ontario...or are we talking Canada?:confused:

Top Bottom