What gears should I go with?

jmmcdona

Sold the ol' LJ and a buddy of mine is wanting to get rid of his 2010 JKUR. The jeep is in great condition being owned by a long time owner of a body shop. This JK has a pro charged 3.8 with the stock gears. Thinking about buying this thing but would I need to go with 4.88 or 5.13's gears. Currently it has 37's but I was thinking of putting 40's on, seeing how it's gonna need new shoes soon. Any advice would be great!!

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
5.13 gears is as low as you would want to go in the factory dana 44 and is what you would want to run for 37s. If you go 40s plan a axle swap and 5.38 gears

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Forgot to mention that it is a manual transmission. Would this change anything?

Here is the gear chart for the 3.8 1435982520146.jpg
If it isn't going to be a daily driver or you don't care about mpgs I'd get the 5.13s and 37s. Then save for the D60s and 40s.

BBrown626

Sold the ol' LJ and a buddy of mine is wanting to get rid of his 2010 JKUR. The jeep is in great condition being owned by a long time owner of a body shop. This JK has a pro charged 3.8 with the stock gears. Thinking about buying this thing but would I need to go with 4.88 or 5.13's gears. Currently it has 37's but I was thinking of putting 40's on, seeing how it's gonna need new shoes soon. Any advice would be great!!

If your already thinking about 40's why spend $1500 to change gears for 37's? Apply that money to new axles.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
If your already thinking about 40's why spend $1500 to change gears for 37's? Apply that money to new axles.

That's a great idea and all but $1,000-$1500 to re-gear is a long ways from $10k+ for a pair of D60s. Besides, he may find that 37s is good enough for the terrain he's wheeling.

Spudcannons

That's a great idea and all but $1,000-$1500 to re-gear is a long ways from $10k+ for a pair of D60s. Besides, he may find that 37s is good enough for the terrain he's wheeling.

More like 15-20k for axles unless you build them yourself.

Top Bottom