2 Door Coilover issues, advice needed

Jtmw

Hey everyone, I have been playing with my recently installed CO. I am currently in a learning phase, and before it's even said Yes I know this isn't the most conventional setup. I have CO up front and stock coil shock setup in the rear. I got a chance to get out and cycle the suspension tonight and put the front tire on the fork lift and got less travel out of the front than I did with my previous 1.5 RK kit. I checked for binding etc.. nothing to be found at all. Turned around tried on the rear and same result not too much movement upfront, at least not from what i can tell. I have inches of space between the bumpstops on the front and the rear was fully flexed hitting the bumpstops.

All that being said I think this is a weight and coil ratio problem. I'm assuming the King's are designed to be ran on four doors and have heavy front end and winches. Granted I have a heavy smittybilt bumper up front with no winch, but I dont think the extra weight of a winch would make that big of a deal. I'm a two door, who generally doesn't run a backseat and carries the spare in its place inside the cab.

Options...
Do I talk to EVO about possibly getting some coils on the CO that have less pound per inch ratings?
Or... Address the rear with stiffer springs. ( Not sure what direction I would go here or that this would help at all )

All this being said, I'm super satisfied with the turnout of all the products just needs tweaking.

Current set up..
Evo Bolt On Coilovers Front
Evo 3'' Plush Coils in the Rear
Lift height was set to match the whatever height the rear coils gave me I'm right around 5 inches. However you can see in the pictures that the coil springs aren't compressed that much at ride height.

Looking for honest advice to address the issue. Pics included You'll see in the pictures I disconnected the rear shocks to make sure there wasn't an issue there.

IMG_3348.jpg
IMG_3349.jpg
IMG_3350.jpg
IMG_3290.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Non-Rubi, right? Are your front sway bar end links disconnected in those pics. I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like it.

Jtmw

Ill take the links off tomorrow and see if something changed. Maybe my mechanism didn't work properly.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep. Unbolt the links and then disengage the sway bar (screw in the no limits). If the sway bar halves move freely, try flexing again before putting the end links back on and see what happens.

It sure looks like the sway bar is binding you up.

Jtmw

Yep. Unbolt the links and then disengage the sway bar (screw in the no limits). If the sway bar halves move freely, try flexing again before putting the end links back on and see what happens.

It sure looks like the sway bar is binding you up.

Will do, funny thing when I looked for binding I didn't even glance at my sway bar. :doh::doh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea it looks like you just forgot to spin the knob and disco your swaybar. I would take the links off like sharkey said and see if that helps. If so that means you are having some issues with your no limits

Jtmw

Well? Don't keep us hanging! :beer:

Had a busy 4th, got out there yesterday morning. Sway bar was so locked up. Gonna look at the mechanism this week to figure it out. Thanks for the extra eyes everyone. I have finally experience the entire joy that is my coilovers, I might as well have been driving above the ground so smooth.:eek:

JohnnyD

Had a busy 4th, got out there yesterday morning. Sway bar was so locked up. Gonna look at the mechanism this week to figure it out. Thanks for the extra eyes everyone. I have finally experience the entire joy that is my coilovers, I might as well have been driving above the ground so smooth.:eek:

Hey OP any news here? I was looking at the bolts and considering them. I have an RK stock mod 2.5 with the RRD shocks and while satisfied I think I can do better....just looking for opinion on ride on and off-road compared to the RK setup.

Jtmw

If you want coilovers you will be pleased. Just prepare for all the things that come with it. It DEFINTELY is a step up. Lots of part that go along with it however.

Top Bottom