Jk lift kit question

DinosaurChaser

So I have a 2013 jk sport 2dr and im a little new to jeeps but have done a LOT of research. Im going from 33s to 37s. So im putting on a basic 4 inch rc lift. Definitely something to build up from quality wise. I have 5.13 gears to put in it when its ready and have the exhaust spacers and plan to upgrade the drive shaft and fortify the front axle significantly soon after the upgrade. I also know I need a programmer. Im going to get better shocks, control arms, and track bars sometime. Also just cut my stock fenders into flat fenders. Just making sure im thinking of everything because i know there's alot that goes into getting it up on 37s. Just wondering if im missing anything? Doing anything stupid? Thanks for the help!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So I have a 2013 jk sport 2dr and im a little new to jeeps but have done a LOT of research. Im going from 33s to 37s. So im putting on a basic 4 inch rc lift. Definitely something to build up from quality wise. I have 5.13 gears to put in it when its ready and have the exhaust spacers and plan to upgrade the drive shaft and fortify the front axle significantly soon after the upgrade. I also know I need a programmer. Im going to get better shocks, control arms, and track bars sometime. Also just cut my stock fenders into flat fenders. Just making sure im thinking of everything because i know there's alot that goes into getting it up on 37s. Just wondering if im missing anything? Doing anything stupid? Thanks for the help!

4in Rough Country lift? I'd start by choosing a different company to buy a lift from.

DinosaurChaser

Ik its not the greatest lift company ever. But its just springs and brackets and shocks-which im going to upgrade to bilsteins when I get the money. So its really just a cheap lift to get it up in the air. Should've known id get some crap for that lol

Jtmw

Ik its not the greatest lift company ever. But its just springs and brackets and shocks-which im going to upgrade to bilsteins when I get the money. So its really just a cheap lift to get it up in the air. Should've known id get some crap for that lol

You get what you pay for. I ran RC on my first Jeep in highschool, rode like i was on a log wagon. Will never do it again.

DinosaurChaser

Thanks for the replys! but like I said the only part of it im really keeping long term is the coil springs which are all the same. Everything else will eventually be better. Id just rather spend 500 for a cheap lift to get it up then spend 1000 maybe in upgrades to it and have everything that I want than spend 2-3000 on a rock crawler lift.

Jtmw

No problem, I can tell you you'll be happier spending $1500 upfront and getting a complete kit thats designed to operate with the other components included. I've been in your shoes and am giving the advice I'd give myself. Hope it goes well.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
At that height on a 2-door, with no adjustable control arms, your Jeep is likely to track as straight as rollerblades on a hockey rink.

DinosaurChaser

When i mentioned research I didn't mean brands. But ppl are quick to put down smittybilt products like bumpers and such but its all just powdercoated steel so if they give it to me cheaper then hell ya :) I know theres better brands out there for more sophisticated components its funny how one brand name is the only thing ppl got out of my question. ..

NV375

........ the only part of it im really keeping long term is the coil springs which are all the same............
You probably will not want to keep the springs either.
5.13s in a D30? If yes you will have a weak pinion gear. Money spent on a JK D30 will eventually be money down the drain.
You want to save money and upgrade later start with a BB.

As stated above do more research. There have been many threads on here that will help you.

Jtmw

When i mentioned research I didn't mean brands. But ppl are quick to put down smittybilt products like bumpers and such but its all just powdercoated steel so if they give it to me cheaper then hell ya :) I know theres better brands out there for more sophisticated components its funny how one brand name is the only thing ppl got out of my question. ..

They do make good products, but there lives are short lived when abused. Compared to higher quality items can take the abuse. I'm running Smittybilt front and rear XRC and let me tell ya I've beat the shit out of them. My powdercoat just so happens to be the 1 in 1,000,000 that is really well on there.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's your money. Just keep in mind that a suspension is a SYSTEM. On the front end, that system works in conjunction with the steering components, which are also a system. Those two systems have been specifically engineered to work together based on certain geometric tolerances.

You want to go cheap and only address a few aspects of these engineered systems and, in doing so, you will screw up the geometric tolerances.

Again, your money and your Jeep. Just be prepared for results that are less than ideal and might be downright flighty on a 2-door running 37's. Just my .02, you can take it or leave it.

DinosaurChaser

At that height on a 2-door, with no adjustable control arms, your Jeep is likely to track as straight as rollerblades on a hockey rink.

I dont really know wht that means lol are u saying the steering will be difficult? but if your saying get some adjustable control arms right away then thank you this is wht I wanted to know!

DinosaurChaser

You probably will not want to keep the springs either.
5.13s in a D30? If yes you will have a weak pinion gear. Money spent on a JK D30 will eventually be money down the drain.
You want to save money and upgrade later start with a BB.

As stated above do more research. There have been many threads on here that will help you.

Why wont I want to keep the springs? And yes its currently a d30. So ur saying just go to a 44 or 60 before regearing? Wht do u mean by BB?

DinosaurChaser

It's your money. Just keep in mind that a suspension is a SYSTEM. On the front end, that system works in conjunction with the steering components, which are also a system. Those two systems have been specifically engineered to work together based on certain geometric tolerances.

You want to go cheap and only address a few aspects of these engineered systems and, in doing so, you will screw up the geometric tolerances.

Again, your money and your Jeep. Just be prepared for results that are less than ideal and might be downright flighty on a 2-door running 37's. Just my .02, you can take it or leave it.

Thank you! I appreciate your .02$. And I understand what you are saying. But I dont see any other option besides upgrading every single component in the steering and front suspension before upgrading. And that seems excessive. I guess im just looking for the things I need to do or it will hurt me. Control arms are definitely higher on the list now! Dont like the sound of flighty

NV375

Why wont I want to keep the springs? And yes its currently a d30. So ur saying just go to a 44 or 60 before regearing? Wht do u mean by BB?

You will likely not be happy with the ride form those coils.
A BB is budget boost (coil spacers)
I will not tell you what to do but spending money two or three times gets expensive. Best advice I can think of is don't rush if you can't afford what you want now.

DinosaurChaser

You will likely not be happy with the ride form those coils.
A BB is budget boost (coil spacers)
I will not tell you what to do but spending money two or three times gets expensive. Best advice I can think of is don't rush if you can't afford what you want now.

I understand what ur saying I appreciate the advice! I looked at BBs but they didnt seem to go any bigger than 2" if im not mistaken. And I need more than that. I probably should've started with 35s but another case of just spending more later! But yes I would hate to regear more than once. I think ill save for the front axle but its just so hard to wait when u have beautiful 37s sittin in the garage! :)

NV375

Thank you! I appreciate your .02$. And I understand what you are saying. But I dont see any other option besides upgrading every single component in the steering and front suspension before upgrading. And that seems excessive. I guess im just looking for the things I need to do or it will hurt me. Control arms are definitely higher on the list now! Dont like the sound of flighty

First off both of my JKs have been four doors so I may miss something. You will want in no particular order.
~Front DS and rear DS (drive shafts)
~Front lower control arms
~Rear upper control arms
~steering correction (EVO drag link flip)
~Keep your factory Trac Bars
~Keep your factory steering stabilizer
~springs (be prepared to get more than stated height from them)
~shocks appropriate length for the coils
~bumpstop extensions appropriate for the coils and tires

Look at the components in the EVO Enforcer lift plus optional Drag link flip. Pair it with some Rancho RS9000 shocks and will have a lift you enjoy with no added BS.

Edit:And some Reel 1350 shafts

Last edited:

Jtmw

First off both of my JKs have been four doors so I may miss something. You will want in no particular order.
~Front DS and rear DS (drive shafts)
~Front lower control arms
~Rear upper control arms
~steering correction (EVO drag link flip)
~Keep your factory Trac Bars
~Keep your factory steering stabilizer
~springs (be prepared to get more than stated height from them)
~shocks appropriate length for the coils
~bumpstop extensions appropriate for the coils and tires

Look at the components in the EVO Enforcer lift plus optional Drag link flip. Pair it with some Rancho RS9000 shocks and will have a lift you enjoy with no added BS.

Edit:And some Reel 1350 shafts

Add in rear trac bar bracket, new adj front trac bar ( not sure if its needed exactly but I used one ), extended brake lines.

NV375

Add in rear trac bar bracket, new adj front trac bar ( not sure if its needed exactly but I used one ), extended brake lines.

Yes I did forget the longer brake lines.
I also forgot it in the list but the rear TB bracket does come in the kit mentioned at the end.
Keep the stock front TB also. Front TB bracket comes with the EVO DL flip kit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom