Problem Installing Rigid Back-up Lights

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm in the middle of an install and I've run into a problem. The kit came with a 3-way switch which uses a trigger wire that taps into the stock back-up light and turns on the Rigids. I tapped into the white wire with gray stripe, which I confirmed works. Only problem is I'm throwing a CEL and the right taillight won't work now.

I thought that maybe the circuit was getting confused so I removed the tap to the lights but the taillight still doesn't work. I checked the bulb itself and I didn't blow the bulb. What should I check now?

sean.m.adams33

I'm in the middle of an install and I've run into a problem. The kit came with a 3-way switch which uses a trigger wire that taps into the stock back-up light and turns on the Rigids. I tapped into the white wire with gray stripe, which I confirmed works. Only problem is I'm throwing a CEL and the right taillight won't work now.

I thought that maybe the circuit was getting confused so I removed the tap to the lights but the taillight still doesn't work. I checked the bulb itself and I didn't blow the bulb. What should I check now?

Fuses are good?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Fuses are good?

I burned out the M18 fuse (15 Amp Blue, Right Tail/Park/Run Lamp) but I replaced that and still have the same issue. The only thing I can think is that I have a poor connection with my wiring despite soldering them and heat shrinking the connection. I'll pull it all apart tonight and recheck everything.

davantalus

When you pull it all apart, check your new lights, standalone, with a battery (be careful with LED polarity, yadayada).
Don't forget to check the fuse again when you've put it all back together again.

I ran into the same issue re-wiring the reverse lights after installing a carrier. Popped the fuse at some point. replacing it was enough to fix everything.

Top Bottom