Rolll cage thread

jango

Hey all,

Im looking to put in a roll cage in my jeep for my next mod. I am starting to do some research on them. I want to ask for any pics people on here have of aftermarket cages in rollovers. Im leaning towards a bolt on cage due to myself not having a welder or welding skills to trust my life on. I'm also not looking to have to cut through my body for any reasons or give up stock stuff such as speakers or AC. This is for a JKU BTW
Please leave input including
-What cage you have/or like the best.
-Ease of install of a cage you put in.

Thanks everyone for any input.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Rockhard 4x4. Easy install, stout and proven reliability.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436244232.286511.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436244250.260109.jpg

Just factor in the powdercoating cost of you don't want to rattle can it.

^ thanks fellas for the referral. :beer:

Hey all,

Im looking to put in a roll cage in my jeep for my next mod. I am starting to do some research on them. I want to ask for any pics people on here have of aftermarket cages in rollovers. Im leaning towards a bolt on cage due to myself not having a welder or welding skills to trust my life on. I'm also not looking to have to cut through my body for any reasons or give up stock stuff such as speakers or AC. This is for a JKU BTW

For what it's worth - take a look at our installation video of our bolt in JK Sport Cage. Might help answer some of your questions, answer question you haven't thought of yet, and see how it meets all of your needs. You'll see in our video you do not cut into your body at all, and with some very minor dash trimming and drilling just a few holes in your door jam, it's a completely bolt in installation. You don't even touch your speakers or air conditioning system.

Last edited:

BigPrince

Hey all,

I spent a lot of time researching this. Either Rockhard or Poison Spyder Trail Cage if you want completely bolt-in.

I am very happy and feel very protected with:
Poison Spyder Trail cage Bolt-in for the front A-Pillar (GenRight Frame tie-in and Stock Windshield tie-in added on)
And:
Synergy Weld-in B-Pillar (w/ Frame tie-in)
Poison Spyder Weld-in C-Pillar Addon

AllSouth did a great job with the install. You can go with any bolt-on kit and have them or someone else weld-in some frame tie-ins or any additional work. I know some folks don't feel it's needed but I personally would want frame tie-ins.

I like the look of the couplers on the Poison Spyder kit more than the knuckles on the Rockhard kit.

Added pics as other are:

cage3.jpg

Cage0.jpg

cage7.jpg

cage11.jpg

Last edited:

Peak

Rock Hard for bolt in. A few of the guys on here have been putting in the synergy mfg cage. It's a weld in cage, not sure too much about it. I believe it's basically the Rock hard but a weld able kit. Myself personally will be installing the rock hard kit sometime this fall.

Trail JK

While I don't have any pics of a cage in a rollover and hope that I never will, below are some of my Rock Hard sport cage install.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436251160.202081.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436251189.265337.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436251215.346657.jpg .

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would buy rock hard. The only thing I like better on the poison spider cage is the dash bar sits closer to the dash.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Rockhard is a great cage, my only complaint is the rear section for a 2 door which doesnt apply to you lol.

I would buy rock hard. The only thing I like better on the poison spider cage is the dash bar sits closer to the dash.

I really labored on this point. I even considered making a new dash bar out or either rectangle tube or smaller diameter, but opted to try the bar Rockhard shipped. After three drives, I don't even notice it. We now have the RH in both Jeeps (well, front only for the 2-dr). Alana did raise her seat two pumps but it doesn't bother her at 5'4" (she claims 5'5") ;)

Since Alana's Jeep already had an ORFab cage in it (total junk) Rockhard shipped us a cage minus the a-pillar holes being drilled and tapped so we could line up the mounting with the preexisting holes. I will say that this was a MUCH easier install. I almost wish Rockhard would just make an option to get a kit this way. When I did mine I used the template and checked it several times before drilling. Still the holes were not perfect and had to be opened slightly. Everyone I know that has installed one fought the same thing.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I really labored on this point. I even considered making a new dash bar out or either rectangle tube or smaller diameter, but opted to try the bar Rockhard shipped. After three drives, I don't even notice it. We now have the RH in both Jeeps (well, front only for the 2-dr). Alana did raise her seat two pumps but it doesn't bother her at 5'4" (she claims 5'5") ;)

Since Alana's Jeep already had an ORFab cage in it (total junk) Rockhard shipped us a cage minus the a-pillar holes being drilled and tapped so we could line up the mounting with the preexisting holes. I will say that this was a MUCH easier install. I almost wish Rockhard would just make an option to get a kit this way. When I did mine I used the template and checked it several times before drilling. Still the holes were not perfect and had to be opened slightly. Everyone I know that has installed one fought the same thing.

Lol I still need to fix my sides, 2 bolts on one side and 1 on the other was all that lined up...I was just gonna weld it in tho.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed both a Rock Hard and an OR-Fab cage and when it was time to get another, I went with Rock Hard. I had considered Poison Spyder and almost got it but of the ones I have seen, they tended to make a lot of noise. The dash bar isn't bad at all on a 2007-10 JK but with the new interior of the 2011 and up, it does sit higher due to the center stack and can be a little annoying if you're short but otherwise, it's not too bad. Like most of the people here, I would highly recommend it.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I spent a lot of time researching this. Either Rockhard or Poison Spyder Trail Cage if you want completely bolt-in.

I am very happy and feel very protected with:
Poison Spyder Trail cage Bolt-in for the front A-Pillar (GenRight Frame tie-in and Stock Windshield tie-in added on)
And:
Synergy Weld-in B-Pillar (w/ Frame tie-in)
Poison Spyder Weld-in C-Pillar Addon

AllSouth did a great job with the install. You can go with any bolt-on kit and have them or someone else weld-in some frame tie-ins or any additional work. I know some folks don't feel it's needed but I personally would want frame tie-ins.

I like the look of the couplers on the Poison Spyder kit more than the knuckles on the Rockhard kit.

Added pics as other are:

cage3.jpg

Looks like you trimmed quite a bit of the factory windshield/A pillar surround. Was that necessary or were you not too concerned about it?

BigPrince

Looks like you trimmed quite a bit of the factory windshield/A pillar surround. Was that necessary or were you not too concerned about it?

Normally the PS cage does not tie into the windshield but for stability I had the stock bracket cut off and added to the PS cage. To fit it in, more had to be trimmed so... both. Looks a little off in that picture but looks good to me in person. It's at the shop currently having the armor stripped & powdercoated so can't take another pic now but I can next week.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Normally the PS cage does not tie into the windshield but for stability I had the stock bracket cut off and added to the PS cage. To fit it in, more had to be trimmed so... both. Looks a little off in that picture but looks good to me in person. It's at the shop currently having the armor stripped & powdercoated so can't take another pic now but I can next week.

I appreciate the offer, but no rush. I'm not in the market now myself. :thumb:

Top Bottom