Raising shock mounts

Spudcannons

Has anyone who installed raised shock mounts needed to raise the upper mounts as well? Also are these worth the trouble?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you are referring to something like the EVO rock stars? If so, yeah, they're totally worth getting those stupid low hanging, rock grabbing mounts up a bit higher but, depending on the shocks you're running, you may find it necessary to replace them with a shorter set. There are kits out there that will allow you to relocate the upper mounts but really, there's only so much you can do and I don't know if they're really worth it.

Spudcannons

I assume you are referring to something like the EVO rock stars? If so, yeah, they're totally worth getting those stupid low hanging, rock grabbing mounts up a bit higher but, depending on the shocks you're running, you may find it necessary to replace them with a shorter set. There are kits out there that will allow you to relocate the upper mounts but really, there's only so much you can do and I don't know if they're really worth it.

I have 3" bump stops.

The Bilstein Part # 33-186887 is the rear shock that came with the evo kit from northridge, 4"-5" lift, and from what I have found should have a Collapsed Length of 16.96" and an extended Length of 27.36". The stock are about 14.5" collapsed but I think there is space for about 16" with stock bump stops.

So I think 16"+3"=19"-17"=2" Leaving 2" to raise the mounts.

Do you think they will fit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3" bump stops.

The Bilstein Part # 33-186887 is the rear shock that came with the evo kit from northridge, 4"-5" lift, and from what I have found should have a Collapsed Length of 16.96" and an extended Length of 27.36". The stock are about 14.5" collapsed but I think there is space for about 16" with stock bump stops.

So I think 16"+3"=19"-17"=2" Leaving 2" to raise the mounts.

Do you think they will fit?

Rather than doing all that math, I would go out and measure how much shock shaft is actually showing at ride height. I would also measure how much space you have between your bump stop extension and your jounce stop at full compression. That should tell you whether or not you can loose 2" of up travel and still be okay.

I just helped MTG install a set of Rock Stars and he needed a set of 3/4" coil spacers installed to help make up the difference.

Spudcannons

Rather than doing all that math, I would go out and measure how much shock shaft is actually showing at ride height. I would also measure how much space you have between your bump stop extension and your jounce stop at full compression. That should tell you whether or not you can loose 2" of up travel and still be okay.

I just helped MTG install a set of Rock Stars and he needed a set of 3/4" coil spacers installed to help make up the difference.

Could I remove the spring and measure the shock shaft left at full bump? My bump-stops make contact at full flex

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could I remove the spring and measure the shock shaft left at full bump? My bump-stops make contact at full flex

LOL - You could do whatever you want. I'm just trying to save you some time and unneeded effort. How much shock shaft are you showing at ride height now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just measured 5".

Okay, sounds like you'll have about 3" of up travel left after installing Rock Stars. Being that you've already established your bump stops make full contact at a full flex, it sounds like you might be okay.

Spudcannons

Okay, sounds like you'll have about 3" of up travel left after installing Rock Stars. Being that you've already established your bump stops make full contact at a full flex, it sounds like you might be okay.

I have exactly 3" of space between my bump-stops(metal to metal, no yellow thing). Does the yellow rubber compress fully?

sjd78

I just installed a set a couple weeks ago. If you have a raised rear track bar bracket that also bolts to the lower control arm mount then plan on getting a longer bolt. The stock bolt is too short in that scenario.

Top Bottom