Flush Mount Trailer Plug Into Off-Road Bumper

dwilkening

This may not even rise to the level of needing a write-up. But, since I took pics I figured I would share it.

What you will need:
Electric Drill (I had to charge my 12v lithium twice to get through the bumper)
3/16 metal drill bit
2 inch metal hole saw
(4) #10 3/4inch bolts
(4) washers
(4) # 10 nuts
optional - clear silicone for the back of the plug to waterproof/seal the mounting surface.

Installation Note: When I installed my new bumper it used more frame real-estate than the stock bumper. So, I had to relocate my 7way plug. Instead of re-using the bracket that hangs from the frame I decided to flush mount the plug into the bumper. Notice the Wayalife JK sticker - it helps installs go more smoothly.
7 way plug install 1.jpg

1. Remove the mounting bracket from the Jeep frame. Remove the connector from the back of the plug by sliding the red tab out and squeezing the end of the plug while pulling. (sorry no pic) My screws were stripped so I had to drill them out to free the plug from the mounting bracket.

7 way plug install 2.jpg

2. Mark the location of where you wish to mount the 7way plug. Two things to keep in mind: Make sure the wire harness extending from your trailer is long enough to reach that location, and check the clearance behind the bumper. You don't want your plug resting against the muffler. Now you are ready to drill the hole.

7 way plug install 3.jpg

3. After the center hole is drilled use the plug as a template for where you want to dill the mounting holes. Drill the mounting holes.

7 way plug install 4.jpg

4. Slide the 7way plug through the center hole and connect it. (Don't forget to slide the red tab back into place.)

WP_20150704_008.jpg

5. Now is the time to apply a thin layer of silicone to the back of the plug if you want a waterproof seal to the mounting surface. Otherwise, you can just fasten it with the #10 bolt/washer/nut. And you are finished.

7 way plug install 5.jpg

TeamFaust

Definitely a necessary relocation if you wheel...don't need anything extra hanging off the back where it could get snagged. Nice install :thumb:

Top Bottom