Bent front axle?

TomRalph

What is the best method to see if the front axle is bent? Get the alignment checked and if camber is off? Or some other magical way?

I put an angle finder on the tube it self and it is off by 1 - 2 degrees from side to side, how can I prove/show that is it bent?

What is the best method to see if the front axle is bent? Get the alignment checked and if camber is off? Or some other magical way?

I put an angle finder on the tube it self and it is off by 1 - 2 degrees from side to side, how can I prove/show that is it bent?

An alignment is an indication, camber could also be the Cs or a bad BJ or bearing.

When you say the angle finder is off, do you mean negative on one tube and positive on the other? If so, I'd say there is a good chance it's bent.

TomRalph

An alignment is an indication, camber could also be the Cs or a bad BJ or bearing.

When you say the angle finder is off, do you mean negative on one tube and positive on the other? If so, I'd say there is a good chance it's bent.

I took a Dodge Ram on the front driver side this past weekend (tight road + corner + he didnt see/couldnt stop = crunch), the front fender is toast so is the flare and grill. Somehow with my tires turned to the right for the corner I was going around, the drag link got bent pretty bad and now I have 10 - 20 degrees of play in the steering wheel before it engages/changes directions. I know that a bent drag link would cause the steering wheel to be off center, but not put slop in the steering wheel.

The axle does show positive 1 - 2 degrees on the driver side then negative 1 degree on the passenger side.

If someone could explain how the drag link could become bent in that scenario it would put my mind at rest for sure!

The play in the steering is concerning. I can see where the d-link would bend from a one-sided shock like an impact, but with it bent I would also be concerned for the two places it is connected. The pitman arm and steering gear, and the knuckle on the other end. I'd try to identify where the play is coming from.

As for the axle... I still think there is a good chance it's bent.

Spudcannons

I would bet on bent. Take a big ass straight edge to it. Control arm mount to control arm mount and you should be able to tell. But take that in to a shop for an estimate to give the insurance guy and buy a pr44 or 60 and hydro assist ;)

TomRalph

I would bet on bent. Take a big ass straight edge to it. Control arm mount to control arm mount and you should be able to tell. But take that in to a shop for an estimate to give the insurance guy and buy a pr44 or 60 and hydro assist ;)

Thinking/hoping for a PR44/60 :)

Still flabbergast how the drag link could have bent, the way the wheel was turned and how it was hit, would have 'stretched' the drag link, not compressed it. :doh: Being hit on the outside of the driver side tire, would push the tire inward, which the tie rod connecting connecting to the passenger tire would push the front of that tire out, extending the drag link. To bend the drag link the passenger tire would have to move in (like a left hand turn), the opposite of what happened. :icon_crazy:

Tree Frog

Suck's about the wreck but please don't drive it with that much play in the steering. Something is very wrong and could just let go. Either take it in or get under there and have somebody turn the wheel back and forth until you find the problem or problems.
I am worried for you and yours. That much play right after a wreck is scary.

TomRalph

Need some quick advise...

Finally figured out how the drag link bent, took some time just staring at the front end damage and it was obvious. The other truck hit the front bumper sliding off it toward the drivers door (as he was swerving away). This cause the tire to 'rotate' outwards (as viewing from the front) pulling the passenger tire inward, causing a compression on the drag link, which resulted in it bending (i.e. the weakest link, due to the curves and bends in it already from the factory).

They are still looking to place the Jeep on the alignment rack on Monday and the frame rack to see if there is any bending of either of those. I am not too worried on the frame it seems / looks good, the axle on the other hand took the damage described above.

So which drag link should I put back on?

EVO Drag Link again (yes just the RHD MOPAR part)?
Synergy Drag Link?

Which to put back on it? The MOPAR RHD part I found online for ~$80.00 new from Mopar (not the crown knock off crap)... The synergy link is $225 or so online. Synergy is 1018 solid rod with appears 1 bend in it, not the multiple that Mopar puts in. It also comes with what appears to be higher quality TRE's and something that I can imagine the factory links coming without and that is the cotter pin to lock the castle nut.

PR44 is in the near future for this rig, as well as 37" tires and ram assist steering when dropping in the new axle. (If the axle is bent or needs work/replacing the PR44 will be much sooner than later)

Thoughts?

Top Bottom