Shaking shifter when driving

Black Beaver

So does anyone out there know why my shifter would be shaking when driving? I have a 2014 jku 6 speed and my shifter shakes a lot. It didn't used to do it when I first got it. But it's been getting worse. And today I went over a bump on the freeway and it felt like it was about to pop out of gear.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
It wont pop out of gear. Ive now had a 2013 6 speed and now a 2015 6sp. They just do it. Embrace it lol

Wardell

It's completely normal, and I think it's really just because a Jeep isn't built like a car. There is a fair amount of give in the rubber isolators where the body mounts to the frame, and they're designed that way to help prevent damage while you're offroading. The transmission (including the shifter) is actually mounted to the frame, so what you're actually seeing is the body bouncing slightly on the frame when you hit a bump. It's nothing to worry about.

The only time I've had a problem shifting with my manual is when it's at least -25° and the engine hasn't been given enough time to warm up... and even then, it really only seems not to like 2nd gear.

Last edited:

Black Beaver

Well thanks for letting me know it's normal. It just seems like it's been getting worse that's why I was concerned about it. But if it's normal I won't worry about it. And just live with it.

Mikelang

Sorry to bring back an older thread but does anyone else have any input on this? My shifter has started shaking VERY bad and cannot be normal. Anyone know what would cause this?

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Sorry to bring back an older thread but does anyone else have any input on this? My shifter has started shaking VERY bad and cannot be normal. Anyone know what would cause this?

Its normal. Trust me. They shake a ridiculous amount

Mikelang

I can't seem to figure out how to post a video of it but there's no way this can be normal. It damn near bounces off my knee all the way to the passengers knee.

Mikelang

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just deal with it for now. If there's so thing wrong then I'm sure it will get worse or fail all together and then I'll know what it was. Thx!

Top Bottom