Tires are Rubbing My Double Throwdown

Rippin Lipz

I'm running 38x14.5x17 MTR/K on ATX Slabs with 3.5 back spacing. When I got the double throwdown installed, my installer had to fab some new lower shock mounts for the double throwdown because at full bump the shocks would contact my Artec c-gussets. I think the artec gussets might be a little thicker than the evo c-gusstes, but not sure. Anyways, the new mounts would move the bottom of the shocks out about a 1/4 to 1/2 in out. The bottom of the bypass moved back, towards the rear, and the bottom of the coilover moved towards the front.

Well, my tires rub the bottom of the bypass reservoir when turning. I had to put two washers on the passenger steering and four on the driver's stop just to make them stop rubbing.

So my question is this, do you think it's my 14.5 wide tires and stock length dana 44 axles causing the rubbing?

Or, is it caused by the Artec c-gussets and new lower mounts?

Im going to post several pics at different angels so you get the just of it.

Rub1.jpg

Rub2.jpg

Rub3.jpg

Rub4.jpg

Rub5.jpg

Rub6.jpg

Rippin Lipz

Ya that's what I kinda figured. I was just hoping it wasn't. Guess Ill start checking the couch cushins for new axle money.

Rippin Lipz

I'm thinking about it. I still haven't dialed the suspension in. I'm waiting on new rear shocks right now. Then I'll put it on a fork lift and cut, trim, and measure for rear bumps. I'll also see if the tire rubs the shocks when it's flexed. If so, I'll get some spacers.

Rippin Lipz

So what size spacers do you think I would need for the tires to clear so I could remove the washers from the steering stops?

Tattedfire

You don't have to run spacers in the rear if you do not wish. It's not uncommon to have the front axle track width be wider than the rear. This makes your turning radius tighter

StrizzyChris

You don't have to run spacers in the rear if you do not wish. It's not uncommon to have the front axle track width be wider than the rear. This makes your turning radius tighter

Ditto. This is the case in some older trucks from the factory. It'll only cost u 200 for the whole set or 100 for just the front of spyders. U can find them used all the time for 150 for full set.

Tattedfire

Well I took advantage of NorthRidge 4x4's sale and picked up a set of Spidertrax spacers for the front and rear.

Your jeep will be beastly with the wide look!!:thumb: I'm running dynatrac axles that are 3" wider than stock and love the look! Just looks badass and mean!

Rippin Lipz

Ya I'm pretty pumped. I thought she sat pretty wide now with 14.5" wide tires and 3.5 back spaced wheels. Now I'll know how she'll look when I get my new axles :clap2:

StrizzyChris

I keep seeing this thread pop ip and i laugh every time at the title..."my big tires are rubbing my amazing suspension set-up"

Some people have just the worst luck....oh humph (im just kidding out of utter jealousy!)

Top Bottom