PRESS RELEASE : Rugged Ridge Exo-Top for 2-Doors Now Available

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, I got the following press release from Rugged Ridge announcing their all new Exo-Top for 2-doors and thought some of you might be interested in seeing what it's all about. As always, I'd love to hear what you all think of it.

RUGGED RIDGE EXPANDS AVAILABILITY OF EXO-TOP™
WITH NEW TWO-DOOR JEEP JK WRANGLER APPLICATIONS

First-Of-Its-Kind Design Now Available for All 2007-2016 Wrangler Body Styles

Rugged Ridge® today announced the availability of its Exo-Top™ in new expanded applications for two-door 2007-2015 Jeep Wrangler JK. Previously only available for four-door Unlimited models, the two-door Exo-Top™ features the same innovative, industry-first design that combines open air functionality of a soft top with the utility of an integrated roof rack.

The Exo-Top™ enables owners to experience their Jeep to its full potential for camping, off-roading, or as part of any outdoor lifestyle by allowing users to conveniently open or remove the Jeep’s soft top with ease without having to unload any gear or cargo from the roof rack. Integrated into the 300-lb. capacity roof rack is an advanced externally suspended soft top design that fastens using a series of Velcro straps along the perimeter bars of the roof rack. The pulling force applied by the Velcro helps to tighten and shape the soft top as well as allow for simple soft top removal and installation.

The Exo-Top™ also features a Sun Slider®, which allows the top to slide back with the release of just two clips, providing an open-top experience without having to leave the driver’s seat.

As with the four-door model, Rugged Ridge’s two-door Exo-Top™ features a patent-pending design that is a direct bolt-on installation with no drilling required. It is also compatible with most standard rack attachments and accessories in the industry, enabling Jeep owners to utilize the Exo-Top™ with their existing equipment to safely haul any type of gear for outdoor adventures, including bicycles, skis, snowboards and kayaks.

“We couldn’t be more proud to offer the Exo-Top™ to an entire new segment of Jeep owners,” said Patrick Bennett, Product Development Manager at Omix-ADA. “As the first product to combine a soft top and roof rack into one convenient, easy to use system, we created the Exo-Top™ as an affordable way for JK Wrangler owners to make their Jeep the most usable and enjoyable in any setting.”

The Rugged Ridge Exo-Top™ is now available purchase from authorized retailers online and worldwide at an MSRP of $1,600.99 for two door JK Wrangler applications, and at a $1,733.99 MSRP for four-door Unlimited applications.

Rugged Ridge Exo-Top for 2-Door JK - Front 3Q.jpg

Rugged Ridge Exo-Top for 2-Door JK - Rear Roof Closed - Rear 3Q.jpg

Wardell

The price isn't actually that bad when you consider the cost of buying a soft top and roof rack separately. If you only need one or the other though, it's not worth it at all.

I briefly considered the Unlimited version when it came out. It only has a 300 lbs rating. They don't say if that's only while moving or static too, but the way it has a bunch of little frame rods that bolt together I really wouldn't trust it with more weight than that at any time. That makes it OK for hauling a canoe or a kayak around, but no good for a roof top tent and the weight of people sleeping in it.

The way the top slides in the rails seems really flimsy to me too. In their video, they showed two people sliding it from each side from outside the vehicle (and awkwardly reaching through the rack while they did). I got the impression that one person on the inside could easily knock it out of the track by accident. Maybe I'm wrong and the tracks are stronger than that, but I'd have to see it in person to really know.

Also, you need a header bar from an OEM soft top, so they're assuming you're cannibalizing the one that came with your Jeep. Not good if you were planning on selling the old soft top after this is installed or you only bought the hard top, though you can probably get an aftermarket or replacement OEM header bar to use with their top. Still, it would have made more sense if Rugged Ridge just included one from the start.

Anyway, that's my 2¢. Basically it's an interesting idea but could have been designed better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom