Speaker question

Jmjnewbold

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I could not find anything specific to my 2015 willys wrangler. I do not have the upgraded Infiniti speakers, so mine pretty much suck. I am looking for a way to upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit. I have seem threads talking about Kicker drop ins, but again not sure if they work for 2015s. I was roaming around on mopar overstock parts and saw the infiniti speakers were on the site pretty darn cheap. Will infiniti speakers work on my non-infiniti head unit? Or is it just better to get after-market speakers? I am looking to spend around $100 a set for speakers and am fully capable of installing or wiring them as needed.

Spudcannons

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I could not find anything specific to my 2015 willys wrangler. I do not have the upgraded Infiniti speakers, so mine pretty much suck. I am looking for a way to upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit. I have seem threads talking about Kicker drop ins, but again not sure if they work for 2015s. I was roaming around on mopar overstock parts and saw the infiniti speakers were on the site pretty darn cheap. Will infiniti speakers work on my non-infiniti head unit? Or is it just better to get after-market speakers? I am looking to spend around $100 a set for speakers and am fully capable of installing or wiring them as needed.

Check if the connectors are proprietary otherwise it should work.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Any speakers will work with any head unit. If you are looking for plug and play connectors you'll have to pull a factory speaker and compare the plug. Otherwise you can just cutoff the factory connection and crimp on some female spade connectors and hook up to any speaker you choose. It's really not that difficult.

Factory Connector:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436559071.691877.jpg

Aftermarket speaker without factory connector:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436559129.114340.jpg

big dr

If you want better sound out of your speaker bar,,, #1. get bigger speakers. You can fit 6" to replace the 5 1/4 it comes with. #2. Get some dyna mat or hush mat from a local radio shop and line the inside of the speaker bar, then put in some expanding foam to ad ridgidity and fill in the empty space in the middle. Will sound noticeably better if you do these 2 things.:thumb:

Jmjnewbold

Looking on line there was a thread talking about 2ohm and 4ohm speakers. Does it matter which resistance speakers I use?

JeepJeep75

Defiantly a difference between 2 ohm, and 4 ohm speakers. First off, 2 ohm speakers that are not subwoofers are kinda rare. For the most part they are made for the OEM only market. The ones most commonly found in the aftermarket world are mostly 4 ohm speakers. If you had a 2 ohm, and a 4 ohm speaker side by side (in the same box, same amp, the 2 ohm speaker would "sound" a lot louder than the 4 ohm. Why? Because the 2 ohm is more efficient than the 4 ohm, therefore the 2 ohm does more work on the same energy as the 4 ohm. I have learned this from personal experience. YMMV....

JohnnyD

But I have to say that the sensitivity rating of the speaker also comes into play here.

If you have a 2 ohm speaker with a sensitivity rating of 86db and a 4 ohm speaker with a sensitivity rating of 91db I would argue your amp will work a lot harder to push the 2ohm less sensitive speaker

If our factory amps push out 50 watts per channel @ 2 ohm, you halve that output roughly @ 4 ohm, BUT that 4 ohm speaker will need much less power to drive to the same SPL levels...

These ratings are all intertwined and need to be considered.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The 77Kick10 Kicker speakers do fit the dash and sound bar in the 2015. If you do not have the factory Kicker sound system you have 4 ohm speakers. If you do have the factory Kicker sound system you have a sub in the back and 2 ohm speakers. The 77Kick10 Kicker speakers are 4 ohm, and gave me a noticeable reduction in bass distortion, and improved sound all around. What I really need now is a small sub to get more bass, but I'm happy with how it sounds with the Kicker replacement speakers in the dash and sound bar.

Jmjnewbold

The 77Kick10 Kicker speakers do fit the dash and sound bar in the 2015. If you do not have the factory Kicker sound system you have 4 ohm speakers. If you do have the factory Kicker sound system you have a sub in the back and 2 ohm speakers. The 77Kick10 Kicker speakers are 4 ohm, and gave me a noticeable reduction in bass distortion, and improved sound all around. What I really need now is a small sub to get more bass, but I'm happy with how it sounds with the Kicker replacement speakers in the dash and sound bar.

Thank you guys very much!! A lot of information, but I have learned plenty and now I know what to look for in new speakers! What are people doing for tweeters? The ones in the dash are pretty large and I don't think anyone makes aftermarket ones.

JakeJK

Use crutch field it'll give you anything you need for install if you purchase speakers from them.

And please save yourself from the hell of kicker speakers

indobos72

Okay, figure I would weigh in on this subject since I used this to assist with my sound system. I got in major trouble for not upgrading to the Alpine system in my 2015 JKUR. But, I now have a better sounding system than the one provided by the manufacturer. Here is what I did: Starting with the 130N with sirius system I added the following components. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C8AFEE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 4 of them, 2 for the soundbar and 2 for the front's. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AQ2W6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01 This I added to fill in the low end. The sound overall is much cleaner and better than the stock setup. Hope this helps.

JakeJK

Okay, figure I would weigh in on this subject since I used this to assist with my sound system. I got in major trouble for not upgrading to the Alpine system in my 2015 JKUR. But, I now have a better sounding system than the one provided by the manufacturer. Here is what I did: Starting with the 130N with sirius system I added the following components. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C8AFEE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 4 of them, 2 for the soundbar and 2 for the front's. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AQ2W6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01 This I added to fill in the low end. The sound overall is much cleaner and better than the stock setup. Hope this helps.

So you have 6 tweeters?

indobos72

So you have 6 tweeters?

No I only bought 2 pairs. So I have total of 4 6" component speakers. Plus the single 12" subwoofer. The top in dash speakers I believe are 3" I think. I was going to mod them with a capacitor to change them to high pass only. But the capacitor is on back order. But really no need as the infinities drown them out anyways. With a much cleaner level and output than the stock speakers.

JakeJK

No I only bought 2 pairs. So I have total of 4 6" component speakers. Plus the single 12" subwoofer. The top in dash speakers I believe are 3" I think. I was going to mod them with a capacitor to change them to high pass only. But the capacitor is on back order. But really no need as the infinities drown them out anyways. With a much cleaner level and output than the stock speakers.

Ahh didn't realize 2015s had different speakers up top i just have tweeters there

indobos72

Ahh didn't realize 2015s had different speakers up top i just have tweeters there
Yeah, 2015's have 8 total speakers even on the budget system. 4 in soundbar which has two per side 2-6" and 2-3". The dash has 2-3" on the top of the dash and 2-6" at the knees.

JakeJK

Yeah, 2015's have 8 total speakers even on the budget system. 4 in soundbar which has two per side 2-6" and 2-3". The dash has 2-3" on the top of the dash and 2-6" at the knees.

So basically the 3 inch speakers replace the tweeters in the front

Jmjnewbold

Thanks for the information I will be looking into those links ASAP!

Top Bottom