Superchips flashcal/ flashpaq

Krystianjk

So on the quadratec site they have a video saying that if you have the flashcal you can download a program making it essentially a flashpaq. So my question is do you still gain that extra HP and torque if you download the program onto your flashcal or is the extra HP and torque only for the flashpaq?

USMC Wrangler

I bought the Flashcal and upgraded it to the Flashpaq a few months ago when the update was 50% off. Anyway, the Flashpaq setting are different from the Flashcal in the arena of the Paq having pre-programmed tunes (Economy, Crawl, 87 Perf, etc.) where the Cal only does stuff like tire size, gear ratio changes, and other creature comfort adjustments, but the Paq does all of the above.

I'm pretty sure I found the side by side comparison on the Superchips site. I don't know if the "HP gains" are simply advertising, but I suspect it's more about adjusting shift points and shift pressure for the autos. If I had a manual I'd probably stick to a Flashcal or Procal, at least from my little bit of research.

Krystianjk

I bought the Flashcal and upgraded it to the Flashpaq a few months ago when the update was 50% off. Anyway, the Flashpaq setting are different from the Flashcal in the arena of the Paq having pre-programmed tunes (Economy, Crawl, 87 Perf, etc.) where the Cal only does stuff like tire size, gear ratio changes, and other creature comfort adjustments, but the Paq does all of the above.

I'm pretty sure I found the side by side comparison on the Superchips site. I don't know if the "HP gains" are simply advertising, but I suspect it's more about adjusting shift points and shift pressure for the autos. If I had a manual I'd probably stick to a Flashcal or Procal, at least from my little bit of research.

So you think I should buy the flashpaq? Or the flashcal and then buy the update? You think the extra Hp is BS?

TheRedRider

I have a '15 unlimited and bought the flashcal right after the jeep purchase. Do you also have a 15? I've been waiting to be able to upgrade to get the hp advantage and didn't know it was available yet.

dyn0mitemat

I picked up a superchips traildash and with a manual transmission, it was was a waste of money over the procal I had.

USMC Wrangler

So you think I should buy the flashpaq? Or the flashcal and then buy the update? You think the extra Hp is BS?

I have been running the 87 Performance, tire size adjustment and "fogs on with high beams" settings. The throttle response is very noticeable to me, in a good way, from the start as well as slightly firmer shifts. I haven't had the chance to try any of the other settings yet. The "Crawl" setting is on my to do list on an upcoming trip in October. I can't say for certain if there is a HP gain, well, because I can't measure that in any way. From tinkering in a shop with a friend who's family ran funny cars, horsepower is expensive, way more expensive than the cost of a flashpaq. The HP claims, like other claims by a wide variety of manufacturers saying their stuff is the best, is probably (IMO) a marketing ploy. Yes, it "feels" faster to me, but the biggest benefit has been picking up 1-1.5 mpg during normal driving. That mpg gain could be from having the tire size and speedo dead on and confirmed with two different gps units. I am happy with the purchase, but I wish it had an 87 Towing option like my Superchips did for the old F150. I do tow a 5x8 cargo trailer from time to time and return the tune to stock for that, but keep the tire size, light options programmed in. SC recommends no towing with the 87 Performance and I believe the 91 Performance. The "Tow" setting requires 91 or higher.

I have a '15 unlimited and bought the flashcal right after the jeep purchase. Do you also have a 15? I've been waiting to be able to upgrade to get the hp advantage and didn't know it was available yet.

No, mine is a '13. From what I read the problem with the tunes from SC and '15 models has something to do with the Jeep cpu being encrypted, or something like that. When I purchased mine a few months ago, I read a note on either the documentation that came with it or on the Spark application saying the tunes were not compatible with the Flashcal's and '15's. I hope for the sake of all you '15 owners, they get that ironed out.

I picked up a superchips traildash and with a manual transmission, it was was a waste of money over the procal I had.

Really? I have a manual and it made a huge difference for me. My RPMs are in much better range in gears 1 to 4. I can do 60 in 4th gear which wasn't even close to possible. Plus my gas mileage is up 1 MPG.

dyn0mitemat

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I'm not sure thats possible with a tuner unless your changing gearing in trans, tcase, axles or tires.

After playing around with hptuners on my car for a few years, I'm pretty convinced you're not going to see more than a 5-10 horse difference with just a generic canned tune on an ancient n/a engine like the 3.8's (what i'm running, 3.6 I'd imagine is a bit more optimistic as there's more parameters to work with).

With the auto trans I can see there being a big benefit with a new calibration

hbkid22

I have a flashpaq and I cant complain.....Not sure how the upgrade would work from the flashcal but the flashpaq has been nice for me. I have a manual sport, 513s and 35s and I get around 16mpg and can use 6th gear to pass people on the highway! :thumb:

I have heard that with manuals, the traildash really adds no benefit unless you have lockers otherwise there's not a huge benefit you get since you cannot adjust your shift points and without lockers you cannot control them through the console. (I know that was not the OPs question but saw someone post about it).....

Really? I have a manual and it made a huge difference for me. My RPMs are in much better range in gears 1 to 4. I can do 60 in 4th gear which wasn't even close to possible. Plus my gas mileage is up 1 MPG.

How is this even possible? RPM's won't change with a tuner on a manual. You would have to change something mechanical (tires/gears).

USMC Wrangler

Not sure how the upgrade would work from the flashcal

Updating the flashcal to flashpaq is done through the Spark application. Anyone looking to do this, just watch the SC site. They do 50% off a couple times a year. That's the route I went and saved a bundle.

P1TBU11

I got the flashpaq 3872. I updated it when I got it (maybe two months ago). I thought I'd read that it had the option to change the pressure required to set off the tpms light, but it only gives me the option to disable them.

IIWorlds

Got the flashcal, and then upgraded to the flashpaq at 50%, using the Spark software online. No mpg gain in 'economy' mode but the 'crawl' mode is awesome. Increased pedal travel, gives you more control over acceleration rate, which is particularly helpful with a manual transmission. The anomaly was with the tire size. It was reading the stock setting as 30.75" (while factory tires are 32"), and when I set my new tire size to the 33" I upgraded to, it messed up my speedometer. Had to go back and just add 1" to the initial factory setting. Now set to 31.75" and running 33s. Confirmed to be accurate with GPS.

Got the flashcal, and then upgraded to the flashpaq at 50%, using the Spark software online. No mpg gain in 'economy' mode but the 'crawl' mode is awesome. Increased pedal travel, gives you more control over acceleration rate, which is particularly helpful with a manual transmission. The anomaly was with the tire size. It was reading the stock setting as 30.75" (while factory tires are 32"), and when I set my new tire size to the 33" I upgraded to, it messed up my speedometer. Had to go back and just add 1" to the initial factory setting. Now set to 31.75" and running 33s. Confirmed to be accurate with GPS.

That is correct. Your 33's are not true 33" tall. You need to measure from the ground to centerline of your wheel x 2.

USMC Wrangler

That is correct. Your 33's are not true 33" tall. You need to measure from the ground to centerline of your wheel x 2.

Yep, agreed...this ^^^^

BFG says my 255/80R17's are 33.1". I have my tire size setting at 31.75" to get the speedo to match my GPS and local speed trap sign thingy. :grayno:

Kumar

Not sure what the flashcal to flashpaq upgrade runs, but I had picked up a new traildash for $50 more than a flashpaq. A lot of features I don't take advantage of, but for only a small bump in price.

Top Bottom