How much to air down?

JeepJam

General question I didn't find an answer to while searching the forums. I have 2012 JK with Nitto G2's LT275 65 R18's. I'm planning on Jeeping the mountain trails of SW Colorado and Moab UT. How many PSI should I remove from the tires (if any) before I tackle the trails? They are currently at recommended level 34 or 35 psi right now.

07JKSahara

General question I didn't find an answer to while searching the forums. I have 2012 JK with Nitto G2's LT275 65 R18's. I'm planning on Jeeping the mountain trails of SW Colorado and Moab UT. How many PSI should I remove from the tires (if any) before I tackle the trails? They are currently at recommended level 34 or 35 psi right now.

Search will yield some good results on the forum here, but I'd run between 10 and 12. As low as 8 is fine, just more likely to lose a bead.

JeepJam

Thanks for all the help... Just ordered new air compressor so I can air back up. See y'all on the trail

kaptkrappy

My 2 cents. (and you get what you pay for) :brows:

A 275/65/18 has very little side wall compared to say a 35-12.5-15 which I have aired down to around 12 lbs before noticing any real possibility of coming "un-beaded" (if that's a word).

I would think/suggest staying around 20 lbs and no lower with that size tire. It just doesn't have the flexibility of a tire with more side wall.

I could be wrong and it work the other way around, but I don't think so.

Spudcannons

My 2 cents. (and you get what you pay for) :brows:

A 275/65/18 has very little side wall compared to say a 35-12.5-15 which I have aired down to around 12 lbs before noticing any real possibility of coming "un-beaded" (if that's a word).

I would think/suggest staying around 20 lbs and no lower with that size tire. It just doesn't have the flexibility of a tire with more side wall.

I could be wrong and it work the other way around, but I don't think so.

I agree with this^ you could damage your wheel too if air down too far.

dyn0mitemat

I'd say wheel type and width would have a significant impact on it as well.

I had a set of 35/12.50/15 MTZ's on 15x8 Classic8's and I could run 12f-10r and never have a problem

The 37's on slabs I have now I run 8 to 10

JeepJam

I agree with this^ you could damage your wheel too if air down too far.

Thanks to everyone for the input. This is a stock Altitude edition wrangler. The only thing different is the tires. I bought some Nitto G2's. A little bigger than the stock Dualers that were on there.

We will be going through many switch backs as well, so I was a little concerned with going too low on the PSI. Could it be possible to loose the bead on the tire while tight turning?

Top Bottom