2015 jku - pinch seam trimming still needed anywhere for 37s?

MotoMatthew

I'm running trimmed fenders and trimmed Rubi rails thanks to Panda. Any pinch seam trimming needed since they started trimming from factory?

I'm running trimmed fenders and trimmed Rubi rails thanks to Panda. Any pinch seam trimming needed since they started trimming from factory?

When I ran 37's I didn't have to trim anything. I was running the exact same lift as you also. When I went to 40's I had to trim a ton. You should be fine.

sjd78

I have the same lift and had to trim just a little at the rear of the rear wheel well pinch seam.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Which 37's are you running? I would think with a smaller 37 such as a BFG MT, you would be ok. However, with a true 37" such as a Nitto, you may need to do just a tad of trimming. A few months ago I returned from a trip which included some of the Rubicon followed by a day of wheeling in Tillamook. I noticed the paint on my pinch seem was worn off and looked like a was just grazing the pinch seam with my 37" Trail Grapplers.

MotoMatthew

I'm running the rubicon in a couple weeks and am considering replacing my 35"km2 with 37" trail grapplers before I go.

sjd78

Which 37's are you running? I would think with a smaller 37 such as a BFG MT, you would be ok. However, with a true 37" such as a Nitto, you may need to do just a tad of trimming. A few months ago I returned from a trip which included some of the Rubicon followed by a day of wheeling in Tillamook. I noticed the paint on my pinch seem was worn off and looked like a was just grazing the pinch seam with my 37" Trail Grapplers.

I'm running the Nitto's as well. Probably why I needed to trim a tad.

Static83

I've got 37" mtr's. When I had stock control arms it rubbed a little. When I went to the metalcloak lift it stretched the rear just a little over half an inch and now I have no problems. 2014 with stock cut pinch seam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoMatthew

After reading about the need for sleeves, shafts, gearing, and maybe even steering stuff I'm going to put this off for a bit. Not something I want to rush before my first rubicon run. Thanks for the input though!!

Static83

Good idea. Should atleast do C's, Truss, and shafts. I went with gears as well. Steering upgrade is next on my list.

UpsideUp

I'm sure others will chime in that know more than I do but it's general practice to NOT sleeve and truss your axles as it is not needed on a Rubicon. In fact you risk damage to your housing with trusses that make it not worth it. And I'm sure lots of people run the Rubicon with stock components. It would be wise to gusset and probably regear if you are going to 37's but all else isn't needed to have fun.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
After reading about the need for sleeves, shafts, gearing, and maybe even steering stuff I'm going to put this off for a bit. Not something I want to rush before my first rubicon run. Thanks for the input though!!

Save the $$ and wheel what you have. Maybe put on gussets, but definitely stay away from sleeves and trusses.

You can pick up a brand new PR44 housing for ~$2200 and swap in your factory Rubicon internals. With labor, you would probably be nearing $2800-3000. However, sleeves, gussets and a truss can easily approach $1500-2000. You will have a FAR SUPERIOR axle with the PR44 for just a little bit more. JMHO...

MotoMatthew

I've got c gussets on already. Maybe I'll just wheel this and save for a pr44 setup in 30k ish miles when I'm due for new tires. Then do the 37s.

Either way I want to do some more homework and not just rush this less than 2 weeks before the trip.

Static83

I'm sure others will chime in that know more than I do but it's general practice to NOT sleeve and truss your axles as it is not needed on a Rubicon. In fact you risk damage to your housing with trusses that make it not worth it. And I'm sure lots of people run the Rubicon with stock components. It would be wise to gusset and probably regear if you are going to 37's but all else isn't needed to have fun.

The housing on the rubicon d44 is basically the same as the d30 on other models. You will probably end up bending it without reinforcing it. If money isnt a concern, a new housing is definitely the way to go (prorock 44)

Static83

Save the $$ and wheel what you have. Maybe put on gussets, but definitely stay away from sleeves and trusses.

You can pick up a brand new PR44 housing for ~$2200 and swap in your factory Rubicon internals. With labor, you would probably be nearing $2800-3000. However, sleeves, gussets and a truss can easily approach $1500-2000. You will have a FAR SUPERIOR axle with the PR44 for just a little bit more. JMHO...

Gussets are about 60 bucks, truss is ~120. I'm not sure where you are getting your 1500-2000 number? it was 180 plus labor which for me was $200, and included new balljoints at the same time.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Gussets are about 60 bucks, truss is ~120. I'm not sure where you are getting your 1500-2000 number? it was 180 plus labor which for me was $200, and included new balljoints at the same time.

I know a few guys that paid $800-900 for gussets only. I know labor rates vary widely around the country and that might be causing some of the discrepancy.

Static83

I know a few guys that paid $800-900 for gussets only. I know labor rates vary widely around the country and that might be causing some of the discrepancy.

Save for the PR44 it is worth it. 200 Labor for welding up a truss and gussets seems like a steal.

You're right about that, if it cost that much for gussets only I wouldnt have even thought about it. 200 was good, but I was getting quotes 350-500 everywhere else in my area. Still a good amount cheaper, though of course not better than a pr44.

AU Bronc N JK

if ya'll lived near me, I'd weld your gussets on and install your sleeves for a free meal and a few beers! I've welded on and installed three sets (Artec gussets and lca skids and evo sleeves) of these for buddies now!

Luke

Top Bottom