Transmission oil

Dllamas

Anybody changed the transmission oil at 50,000 that the manual recommends I am at 60,000 right now and haven't changed it because I hear it's a bad idea to change it because you will get transmission problems soon after you change it. Any thoughts on this is this a myth? Have anybody changed it this late and did you have problems so far or no?

Webe

I didn't have any problems except the ass-hat over tightened the drain plug so I wasn't able to get it out for my last change.

pedroj14

Anybody changed the transmission oil at 50,000 that the manual recommends I am at 60,000 right now and haven't changed it because I hear it's a bad idea to change it because you will get transmission problems soon after you change it. Any thoughts on this is this a myth? Have anybody changed it this late and did you have problems so far or no?

I have changed it and have not had any issues. If you are planning on doing the change yourself, note that you will need a special hex tool to get the bottom bolt out. There is a write-up on here on it. Make sure you use the Chrysler spec oil!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

You should have no problems changing your transmission oil. The problems you are probably referring to usually are related to power flushing a transmission. When a pump forces fluid through your trans.

Just a simple drain and refill is all you need to do and it will not cause you any problems. You won't get the oil out of your torque convertor, but the little bit of old oil is far better than the problems that can come along with flushing a trans.

As already mentioned, use Mopar ATF AZ specified in your manual.

Dllamas

Thanks a lot o was planning on going to jiffy lube and have them plush it but don't wanna risk it

Bustedback

Thanks a lot o was planning on going to jiffy lube and have them plush it but don't wanna risk it

Never let JiffyLube do any type of service on your vehicles...unless you hate the vehicle. Their "techs" don't know anything and they will try and upsale unneeded services. You really don't want some punk kid messing with your transmission or cooling system. Look at the parking lot and see how many trails of oil you see from missing drain plugs and filters that were installed incorrectly.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Your fluid is not too old to change. The trouble usually starts when you wait way too long. Any tranny loves regular renewal of the "amber life-giving fluids".:yup:

JeepFan

Hooked
Your fluid is not too old to change. The trouble usually starts when you wait way too long. Any tranny loves regular renewal of the "amber life-giving fluids".:yup:

^^ This. You can't go wrong changing the Trans fluid and filter at the recommended intervals. If you wheel your Jeep often, I would say changing the Trans fluid more often is a good idea. Just make sure to use the Mopar oil and filter

joshuaj21

I changed my trans fluid right around 55k. I switched over to Amsoil for all my fluids (just personal preference and discount) so figured I'd knock that out too. I heard about the trouble with the drain plug and asked my dealer whom I have built some good rapport with the lead tech. After short discussion, we were on the same page as I assumed and he validated that there is no "best" tool to use without dropping the exhaust. He said they do the same thing, because Chrysler's design for the placement of the Y-pipe was just dumb. A very technical explanation, I know... Either way, I use a shorty hex, but couldn't get my ratchet in, but I could get a wrench on the bit enough to turn it and loosen enough to get out by hand. Easy day, sort of. Not ideal, but it worked and apparently that's how the dealership does it too! Whatever works I guess!

Top Bottom