NorCal - Anyone Willing to help me install Evo sliders and rocker skins?

MotoMatthew

I just ordered both from Northridge's Prime sale. I'm doing my first Rubicon run next Thursday and would love to get these on before the trip if at all possible. Thought I'd see if any good Samaritan with better welding skills than I have can help! I'm planning on rattle can on the sliders. Have beer. Will travel.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I would be more than happy to help with the skins, however, my work schedule is swamped through the end of this month. If you end up waiting that long, just let me know.

Either way, I have the Astro Nutsert tool and you are more than welcome to borrow it. Trust me, it will make the install experience much more enjoyable! :thumb:

Spudcannons

I would be more than happy to help with the skins, however, my work schedule is swamped through the end of this month. If you end up waiting that long, just let me know.

Either way, I have the Astro Nutsert tool and you are more than welcome to borrow it. Trust me, it will make the install experience much more enjoyable! :thumb:

I have this tool as well and it is essential to installing nutserts.

MotoMatthew

Thanks! I'm living in la la land still hoping for some way to get these on after work one night before the 'con. I'm running the Ace sliders right now, so I'm not totally screwed if they don't get on before the run. I'd feel a lot better with the evos and the skins though. I've seen some vids of guys bashing their rigs right were the rock skins go on that section near the end of the trail where you have to squeeze between the tree and the huge boulder...

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Thanks! I'm living in la la land still hoping for some way to get these on after work one night before the 'con. I'm running the Ace sliders right now, so I'm not totally screwed if they don't get on before the run. I'd feel a lot better with the evos and the skins though. I've seen some vids of guys bashing their rigs right were the rock skins go on that section near the end of the trail where you have to squeeze between the tree and the huge boulder...

I went from the stock Rubi Rails to the EVO Sliders and I can't tell you how much more piece of mind I had afterwards. We ran part of the Rubicon and I am certain my Rubi rails would have done OK, but I did take some pretty good hits on the EVO Sliders. Also, when up in Tillamook, the sliders helped a few times keep the body off a tree in tight spots.

When are you running the Rubicon?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
As a side not for the sliders, make sure you have someone who really knows how to weld put them on. I had a shop down in the Bay area weld mine on and they did a ton of prep work and laid some really nice beads. On the flipside, I've seen a few folks DIY their welding and I would be really worried about slamming a 6,000lb Jeep down on a slider with subpar welds. I'm not saying DIY welding is a bad thing, but some guys own a welder and really don't know what they are doing. :grayno:

Here are my sliders getting welded on:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?23610-Mauser-gets-some-EVO-swag!&p=443123&viewfull=1#post443123

MotoMatthew

I'm running it next Friday.

I'm not a great diy welder. That's why I'm looking for help! That's a lot of weight on those welds.

Panda told me it's a pain in the ass to do the skins after the sliders are on. So even if I ended up paying to have them welded on I need to have the skins on first.

Did you rattle can the sliders except where the welds we're going to be and then have them put on?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I'm running it next Friday.

I'm not a great diy welder. That's why I'm looking for help! That's a lot of weight on those welds.

Panda told me it's a pain in the ass to do the skins after the sliders are on. So even if I ended up paying to have them welded on I need to have the skins on first.

Did you rattle can the sliders except where the welds we're going to be and then have them put on?

Yup. I sprayed them first with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer followed by AEV Textured Black Paint. Seemed to work well and easy to touch up. :thumb:

And I totally agree with getting the skins on prior to the sliders. That would be a giant pain in the ass after the fact!

yuenhop

Yup. I sprayed them first with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer followed by AEV Textured Black Paint. Seemed to work well and easy to touch up. :thumb:

And I totally agree with getting the skins on prior to the sliders. That would be a giant pain in the ass after the fact!
Are you doing the jeepers jamboree? I think it is next week end. If you are not The trial is closed to the general public. but if you do somehow get on there are so many jeeps there that weekend it is very slow moving through. but check the dates.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Are you doing the jeepers jamboree? I think it is next week end. If you are not The trial is closed to the general public. but if you do somehow get on there are so many jeeps there that weekend it is very slow moving through. but check the dates.

Nope, I'm not running it with the Jamboree. There is a NORCAL WAL Rubicon run in October and the WAL Rockin Rubicon Trip is going on as we speak.

MotoMatthew

I'm running it with the Jamboree.

I just talked to Hunters 4x4 and they can get it done for me on Tuesday. I'm probably just going to have them do the project. I don't trust my janky welding skills on something like that anyway. He said he has the astro tool as well.

So the only labor I'm really out having to pay is to have the skins put on. I'd have to pay a "real" welder to put the rails on either way.

doooodo

Duuude cancel your rock skins and buy mine! EVO, 4 door, powdercoat black. New in the box - I just changed direction and never installed. Name your price. In Palo Alto.

Top Bottom