85 or 86 CJ-7

mcs1mark

I want to find an 85 or 86 CJ-7. I had an 85 in college. The one's I've seen for sale are in various conditions and wide pricing range. What are the 3-5 key things I should look for or avoid to determine the right one?

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I would get the 6 cylinder over the 4. The 4 is "ok" (i have one), but the six is a great old motor. Both are leaky. I love my CJ.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely get an 86. They came with wide track axles, Dana 300 transfer case and if I recall, a 44 rear end as opposed to the AMC 20. Last year to be made and really, the best. Definitely want it with a 258 I-6 too.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, I'd go for an 86 with the 258 I6. I had that engine in my 83 and it was great. Used the Howell fuel injection kit because I was tired of screwing with the stock carb, ran great. The ride on the other hand..............!

holliewood61

The 85 also had wide trac axles. Not all 86's had the dana 44 rear just the ones after they ran out of amc 20's. The biggest thing to look for is rust. Mainly at the rear of the frame and the body mounts. You should also take a look under the dash to see if the wiring is hacked up. What it really comes down to is that its a 30 yr old vehicle. Did the previous owners address issues properly, or rig it up to keep it going. You can expect to go through the entire steering and suspension looking for bad bushings or bad wear parts.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The 85 also had wide trac axles. Not all 86's had the dana 44 rear just the ones after they ran out of amc 20's. The biggest thing to look for is rust. Mainly at the rear of the frame and the body mounts. You should also take a look under the dash to see if the wiring is hacked up. What it really comes down to is that its a 30 yr old vehicle. Did the previous owners address issues properly, or rig it up to keep it going. You can expect to go through the entire steering and suspension looking for bad bushings or bad wear parts.

^^ my 85 has a lot of wiring gremlins. Future plan is a new harness. It also has some questionable hoses that need replaced since we quit really driving it. I would say very easy to work on though (except the wiring has had me, my dad, and my dad's mechanic baffled over the years.). Dad has caretaking responsibility for it and used to drive it for me. Tough job.

Plan for an axle shaft upgrade at some point if it is the dana 20 c clip.

holliewood61

It wont be a c-clip axle but unless they have been changed it will have 2 piece shafts. 1 piece mosers are a good upgrade. I swapped both front and rears out in my 81 in favor of scout dana 44's.

mcs1mark

Many thanks for your thoughts on what to look for. My hunt is under way. Body rust has been problem on some that I have looked at as well as rigged up wiring puzzles. Found some nice looking ones online restored but pricey.... $25k to $32k on the high end.

Top Bottom