ComeUp winches

Spudcannons

I just started seeing these winches for sale. Does anyone have experience with them? They say complete waterproofing remote switch ect. Seems good. I'm am also looking at a Warn Zeon or something similar.

OscarMike2.0

I just started seeing these winches for sale. Does anyone have experience with them? They say complete waterproofing remote switch ect. Seems good. I'm am also looking at a Warn Zeon or something similar.

I dont know anything about the complete waterproofing remote switch but I do love my warn. Not the most expensive one but it does the job and has yet to let me down.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/recovery/14-88/8-000-lbs/warn-vr8000-s-self-recovery-winch-87835

I went with synthetic line for safety and weight and I strongly recommend you do the same regardless of what winch you get.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Does it really not trouble you in the least that you "just started seeing these winches for sale" and that they're made in China? Are you really looking saying that you're looking at one of these in the same breath as saying you're looking at a WARN Zeon?

JeepFan

Hooked
I had the opportunity to see WARN winches being built and met some of the great people who build them. Awesome product made in America. I'm a firm believer that you should never compromise when it comes to recovery equipment.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I went with synthetic line for safety and weight and I strongly recommend you do the same regardless of what winch you get.

OscarMike, are there any other reasons for synthetic lines besides the above and the ability to retie them?

Does it really not trouble you in the least that you "just started seeing these winches for sale" and that they're made in China? Are you really looking saying that you're looking at one of these in the same breath as saying you're looking at a WARN Zeon?

I agree with wayalife, get a Warn. I have no experience but I am going to go with the experts and start with a Warn from the very beginning of my build.

My question to Eddie is, what are your thoughts about the Powerplant model and the on board air station? That looks really interesting but I want to get your take.

OscarMike2.0

OscarMike, are there any other reasons for synthetic lines besides the above and the ability to retie them?

I agree with wayalife, get a Warn. I have no experience but I am going to go with the experts and start with a Warn from the very beginning of my build.

My question to Eddie is, what are your thoughts about the Powerplant model and the on board air station? That looks really interesting but I want to get your take.

Yes weight and safety. A synthetic lines weighs a fraction of what a cable line does and when you already have a heavy bumper and winch on your front bumper anything that saves weight is good. Synthetic unlike cable is much safer to use. When cable breaks it can whip around and injure someone where as a synthetic line when broken just drops to the ground.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Aside from synthetic line being a lot safer, they are lighter, will not rust, will float on water, will not fray and stab your hand and of course, you can retie them.

What I can tell you is that I personally have been using mine extensively since 2007. Very early on, back when it first came out, I did have an issue with the compressor part of it but WARN took care of me right away and sent me an updated part. Haven't had a problem with it since. I would highly recommend this winch especially being that the compressor can air up tires very quickly and without taking up any extra room inside your Jeep. Of course, the winch part is a workhorse.

Synthetic unlike cable is much safer to use. When cable breaks it can whip around and injure someone where as a synthetic line when broken just drops to the ground.

I'm not sure if this in entirely true - They both can snap back and they both can drop to the ground - It depends on how they part (all at once or strand by strand).

Myself I like Synthetic as it is easier to repair/maintain and of course weight.

OscarMike2.0

I'm not sure if this in entirely true - They both can snap back and they both can drop to the ground - It depends on how they part (all at once or strand by strand).

Myself I like Synthetic as it is easier to repair/maintain and of course
weight.

Really? I've never heard of a synthetic line hurting anyone. I've personally seen a synthetic line break a few times and it just drops to the ground.

Really? I've never heard of a synthetic line hurting anyone. I've personally seen a synthetic line break a few times and it just drops to the ground.

Fair enough - My experience is not with "Winch line" but with various types of rope - and these must store energy and Winch line must not. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a synthetic line store up enough energy that when it broke, it instantly turned into a big ball of yarn before harmlessly falling on the ground. In other words, it was still a far cry from what a steel rope will do if it breaks.

I have seen a synthetic line store up enough energy that when it broke, it instantly turned into a big ball of yarn before harmlessly falling on the ground. In other words, it was still a far cry from what a steel rope will do if it breaks.

awesome! :thumb:

OscarMike2.0

That sounds awesome!

Spudcannons

Thanks guys. Warn it is. Is the zeon worth it or just a bit of fancy plastic and shinny bits? Also any version that holds up better to salt weather/muddy conditions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Warn it is. Is the zeon worth it or just a bit of fancy plastic and shinny bits? Also any version that holds up better to salt weather/muddy conditions?

Do NOT get any WARN VR winches as they are a lot cheaper for a reason. The Zeon's are new and so I don't know how they'll hold up in the long run yet but so far, what I have seen of them, I am impressed. They are totally redesigned with better components and easier to operate. I would definitely recommend them if that's what you're looking for. As far as mud goes, I've not seen that be a problem with any of their winches but have no experience with salt.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thank you for warning me about the VR Warn winches. After some research and finding out about the $1,200 price range for the Zeon 10-S winch, I have some more questions.

What kind of maintenance is there with the synthetic ropes? (Cleaning? Getting wet and have to dry out? Etc.?)

Is the additional $300 (or so) worth it for the synthetic rope from Warn or are there some more economical options later?

And how important is it to get the waterproof winch line?

Thank you again guys for the assistance and sorry for the thread hijacking.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of maintenance is there with the synthetic ropes? (Cleaning? Getting wet and have to dry out? Etc.?)

Honestly, up where we live, you really don't need to do anything. I've been running the same line on my 07 since 07 and, while I may need to replace it soon due to it being so old, that's been almost 10 years of hard use.

Is the additional $300 (or so) worth it for the synthetic rope from Warn or are there some more economical options later?

Yes, it is worth it as buying one after the fact will cost you about the same or more.

And how important is it to get the waterproof winch line?

I don't know if it's important at all especially here in the west.

Wardell

The Zeons are IP68 rated for being dust and waterproof, so that should at least help against the salt. And I was actually surprised how little plastic there is on these... they have a heavy cast metal body. They're well finished too, so I think the only real area you'll need to worry about corrosion from salt is on the aluminium fairlead and maybe the spool itself.

Top Bottom