3.6 muffler delete

P1TBU11

I've read that most of the backpressure required for the 3.6 is a product of the exhaust loop. Will removing the muffler have a negative effect on hp, mpg, or engine life (long term)?

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I run without the stock muffler for the more difficult trails and notice no difference other then it's extremely obnoxious. If you used to own those lil too fast too furious hondas with shopping cart spoilers you'll be happy though.

Brankz

I run without the stock muffler for the more difficult trails and notice no difference other then it's extremely obnoxious. If you used to own those lil too fast too furious hondas with shopping cart spoilers you'll be happy though.

Some times back when I had my 2 door (3.8) I run it with no muffler just to fuck with my neighbors, that's how they love me so much lol

I know I know I'm a child but YOLO

Hobolobo

I agree with Joshua up there. Ive tried it on my 2 door 3.6 and it was obnoxiously noisy. No negative performance issues tho.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I couldn't speak of experience but the 3.8 sounds decent with exhaust mods like the Dynamax or whatever. The 3.6 with its V-Tech on the other hand...quieter the better. Like I mentioned I only remove it on difficult trails so I don't crush the tip, but it annoys me like no other the whole time haha.

P1TBU11

I'm mainly interested in finding out if removing the muffler has any negative effect on performance, fuel economy, or mechanical longevity.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm mainly interested in finding out if removing the muffler has any negative effect on performance, fuel economy, or mechanical longevity.

Prob not but it will sound ricey as hell. Why not just get something like the dynomax evo or rock crawler exhaust?

BumpStick

With our the stock muffler it sounds like crap. I installed the Magnaflow OffRoad catback that turns down before the rear axle. The sound is pretty good, but once I installed the Magnaflow Y pipe the sound improved a little more. It's no V8 but still sounds really good.

sjd78

I installed a dynomax ultra flo muffler in place of the factory resonator and added a turn down after the rear axle. I'm not crazy about the sound and it feels like it lost power. I'm probably going to take advantage of the 90 day sound guarantee as soon as I figure out an alternative to try.

Last edited:

toxicwaste29

I have my muffler removed on my 3.6. For me its extremely raspy around 3.5-4k rpm but after that it sounds good. No issues with gas mileage dropping and I haven't noticed any performance benefits. I quickly put a dynomax on it and it got rid of the raspy sound but intimately sounded similar to it with no muffler

BlackBandit

Fuck it, buy a vintage glass pack or a cherry bomb glass pack if you want somthin with back pressure and mean sound

BlackBandit

I even heard of something called a spiral strait pipe.... it's not so strait it basically is what it says. It's a pipe that twists so I gives the engine some back pressure and have the same strait pipe sound.

RoughRider

This might be a dumb question, but would it be illegal to do this? Because of noise, or anything else..

Also how easy is it to remove the muffler

mcsjk

This might be a dumb question, but would it be illegal to do this? Because of noise, or anything else..

Also how easy is it to remove the muffler

Removing the muffler is not hard. One or two clamps (I think one) to loosen and then a couple of rubber isolators to remove. Those things can be a major PITA though. Spraying WD-40 or a similar lubricant all over it helps.

Tree Frog

The secret to those rubber mounts is a pair of channel locks. The little bit bigger ones. It takes a little getting used to but put one side of the jaws on the metal plug end thing and the other on the rubber hanger right next to the end plug and give it a squeeze. After you get the hang, it will just take a second to pop them off.

I had tried lube and a pry bar but was about ready to say F-it and just cut them off and go buy some new ones for install.
Layed up under the Jeep for a while just thinking about it and boom it hit me-- Work smarter not harder. (Of course I am too dumb for all that stuff.):doh:

Top Bottom