EVO coilovers or EVO plush rides

NM2012CherryJK

I have been going back and forth with the EVO bolt on coilovers or EVO plush rides with king shocks. I only do really hard trail 6-7 times a year so I'm not sure if coil overs would be over kill. Any pro or cons or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

If its in your budget, id say coilovers hands down. however, depending on where and how you wheel, they may be overkill for the cost.

Edit: coilovers are the pinnacle system, but they do require some maintaining that you dont have to mess with on a traditional setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's really nothing wrong with the Enforcer kit (Plush Ride coils) and if the benefits of going with it over bolt on coil overs is they will cost a LOT less and depending on what shocks you run with them, will require little to no maintenance. Bolt on coil overs will give you a bit more flex and you can set them to whatever ride height you want and set them up with springs to dial in what you're wanting. The down side to them if there is one is that you will need to maintain them.

NM2012CherryJK

Lol cool thanks I think coil overs would just be over kill. I go to big bear and Moab at least once a year and Colorado as well I like more of playing in the rocks. I was going to run King Remote reservoir with Compression adjusters as the shocks go with plush rides.

Lol cool thanks I think coil overs would just be over kill. I go to big bear and Moab at least once a year and Colorado as well I like more of playing in the rocks. I was going to run King Remote reservoir with Compression adjusters as the shocks go with plush rides.
id say that the plush ride with kings would be sweet. Im running them with rancho 9000s and love it.

NM2012CherryJK

Okay sounds good thanks for the input ID love coilovers but if I'm not going to use them to there full potential then I thing plush rides and kings would be a great set up.

JK1

Coilovers ride amazing on the road with the EVO long arm!!! Worth every penny and the wheel even better! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437354968.646149.jpg

CREEPR

In process of installing the double d pro now. Hoping the coilovers proof to be as amazing as I have read. JK1 any tips on maintenance?

CJW

I've driven JKs with both set ups. I think the plush rides with king 2.5s ride better on and off road. It's what I went with in the end.
The coilovers will give a bit more travel but the cost difference and ride quality between the 2 lead me to the plush/king set up.
Also, I've never come across an obstacle offroad that I couldn't do that a bolt on coilover set up could. I know my set up is lacking a tiny bit of travel in comparison but I doubt you'd ever notice it.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I've driven JKs with both set ups. I think the plush rides with king 2.5s ride better on and off road. It's what I went with in the end.
The coilovers will give a bit more travel but the cost difference and ride quality between the 2 lead me to the plush/king set up.
Also, I've never come across an obstacle offroad that I couldn't do that a bolt on coilover set up could. I know my set up is lacking a tiny bit of travel in comparison but I doubt you'd ever notice it.

I'm really curious about your comments regarding ride on and off road with the coilovers. Can you elaborate a bit?

My plan is the bolt on coilover kit mainly for travel and ride quality. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they prefer the ride of the coils over the coilovers (not taking into account the cost difference).

CJW

I'm really curious about your comments regarding ride on and off road with the coilovers. Can you elaborate a bit?

My plan is the bolt on coilover kit mainly for travel and ride quality. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they prefer the ride of the coils over the coilovers (not taking into account the cost difference).

To me, the plush rides rode/ride smoother and were softer over bumps. This went for on road driving and off road (nothing high speed off road was done though). It's wasn't a huge difference but just enough to notice. The coilovers rode very well too.
I know I'm a bit off from what most post about the bolt on coil overs but it's what I feel. (Subjective...)

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
To me, the plush rides rode/ride smoother and were softer over bumps. This went for on road driving and off road (nothing high speed off road was done though). It's wasn't a huge difference but just enough to notice. The coilovers rode very well too.
I know I'm a bit off from what most post about the bolt on coil overs but it's what I feel. (Subjective...)

No doubt ride is subjective. I know spring rates on the coilovers are really important depending on weight of the Jeep.

JAGS

Hooked
I went through this same contemplation. Ride quality was a slight factor as was money.

The initial "cost" isn't that different if you go with the EVO ENF with the king 2.5s. With the king 2.5s, you can go pretty fast and still have a comfortable and stable ride off-road. "On road" is pretty great with the Enforcer out of the box.

With the coilovers, you'll be able to go faster off-road because of the dual coils and timing ring controls. You can also adjust ride height. But here is the rub. With all that extra speed comfort, you'll push the limits of other stock components. So now you are looking at axle shafts or full axle replacements.

I went with the Enforcer and King 2.5s. Added front king air bumps to help a bit with ride at higher speeds. For the most part I'm able to the hang with the coilover folks. I've put tons of miles off-road and onroad. miles in just over a year.

No regrets with my decision though others can certainly justify their own decisions. Everyone has different considerations. Can't really go wrong. 👍

Tree Frog

Hey CREEPR,

Where are you at on the install of your Double D Pro?

I have got my front basically done.
Rear is coming along nicely. Everything is welded on, welds cleaned up and all brackets painted. Ready to start the assembly.

Could not believe how much cutting and grinding was required.
The instructions are basically worthless. Best to just leave them in the top of the toolbox.
If it was not for this forum I would have been screwed. I have learned so much from going back and reading old posts. Can not thank you guys enough :friends:

Cant wait to see how it rides. Just did not want to do coils and then feel like I should have gone with coil overs down the road. Hate buying stuff twice, or wishing I had done something else.

Yes JK1 or anyone with the knowledge please do a write up on the maintenance required to maintain these King coil overs. or even direct us to a place where we can find the information.

Hot94Z28

Coil overs look so damn cool too. I need to do something I have been leaning towards plush ride coils. I have 9000XL shocks how much better does the Kings ride compared to the Ranchos?

JAGS

Hooked
Coil overs look so damn cool too. I need to do something I have been leaning towards plush ride coils. I have 9000XL shocks how much better does the Kings ride compared to the Ranchos?

I can't answer against the 9000 specifically. But what others have told me is that the response with the reservoir on the 2.5s provides a better ride than most standard shocks. The 2.5s are also going to be a stronger shock.

But again, how much of this difference is worth the price difference?? As my DD I'm in my jeep more than most, so a better ride in every aspect was pretty important.

Top Bottom