Driveshaft, greaseable or solid

Ant's JK

I'm just tying to gain some information regarding greaseable aftermarket shafts verses solid. Which is better? I know solid would be stronger but just want to hear it from experienced jeepers

jeff_in_rc

IMO greaseable is the way to go. Every few months you crawl under your Jeep and shoot some grease into the driveshaft's u-joints, the ball joints, and the steering joints all the while looking your Jeep over from the under side making sure all is well.

Now by solid, do you mean non-greaseable u-joints? Not sure on that one.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Now by solid, do you mean non-greaseable u-joints? Not sure on that one.

based off of his post yes I believe that is what he is referring to.

solid u joints are indeed stronger but they may not last as long as greasable ones. I guess the way to get around that is to break down to shaft and just repack grease into the solid ones maybe once a year or over other year depending upon how much you drive

Ant's JK

Thank you for that information. I think I may go greaseable for the reason you stated that you can look things over and grease everything while you're under it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thank you for that information. I think I may go greaseable for the reason you stated that you can look things over and grease everything while you're under it

I know for me personally I went with a 1310 with solid u joints from Adams. They told me it would be plenty strong for my 2 door and 37's and would last me a long time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Greaseable u-joints sound great in theory but I've been running solid for a long time and prefer just replacing them as a part of regular maintenance. But, that's just me.

Havoc40

Sealed/solid joints are the only way to go...especially with steel drive shafts. The only way I'd consider greasable is with an aluminum drive shaft.

Greasable joints don't hold their balance with steel drive shafts, plus they are not as strong.

Top Bottom