Aftermarket lights on factory fog wiring

Rodeo_jk

Yes, i believe the fogs are not on the canbus circuit, inspired engineering sells some that are plug n play as does quadratec

dillard09

I just attempted to wire in some cubes straight to the factory harness and was getting a flicker when i turned the jeep off. So I just wired it through the factory switch to a relay and then to lights. Very simple. They say some are plug and play like previous stated but I was cheap a got some cubes off Amazon for like 20 bucks and they work great.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Like dillard09 said, this is easy to do provided you put a relay into the mix. When I did it without a relay, the rigid's flickered AFTER the light was turned off. Very weird.

dillard09

Like dillard09 said, this is easy to do provided you put a relay into the mix. When I did it without a relay, the rigid's flickered AFTER the light was turned off. Very weird.

Just as mine did Sharkey. The relay fixed it and it was a 15 minute job.

JChamblee

I'm running 3 Amazon lights off of my fog light switch and have had no problems. Two 2x3s wired in parallel into one light connection and a 20" bar into the other... No flicker and great light output.

dillard09

I'm running 3 Amazon lights off of my fog light switch and have had no problems. Two 2x3s wired in parallel into one light connection and a 20" bar into the other... No flicker and great light output.

Nice. What year model jeep? So what watt are the three together? I was wondering if was back to somewhere close to what factory was of that would help out. Like maybe it would let the jeep think it was the stock lights.

mattfl

Bout to order some fogs that I wanna run off the switch, can anyone post up what relay they used for prevent the flicker after the jeep is off?

sjd78

Bout to order some fogs that I wanna run off the switch, can anyone post up what relay they used for prevent the flicker after the jeep is off?

Any standard Bosch style automotive relay will work. You will need 4 pins but if you get a 5 pin relay just don't use the 5th pin 87A. Most auto parts stores carry them. Sometimes the lights will come with a wiring harness with a relay incorporated that you can use.

JChamblee

Nice. What year model jeep? So what watt are the three together? I was wondering if was back to somewhere close to what factory was of that would help out. Like maybe it would let the jeep think it was the stock lights.

2012 Sahara, I'll have to check my Amazon accounts figure out what the wattage is. I knew when I installed them but seems to have slipped my mind.

dillard09

Any standard Bosch style automotive relay will work. You will need 4 pins but if you get a 5 pin relay just don't use the 5th pin 87A. Most auto parts stores carry them. Sometimes the lights will come with a wiring harness with a relay incorporated that you can use.

That's what I used was a 5 pin that i had in the tool box.

JChamblee

Found them. Two 18w Cree spots in parallel, and one 126w Cree 20" bar. No issues or flickers.

Last edited:

dillard09

Ahhh, good old PWM (pulse width modulation) at work. Sadly the wrangler isn't as simple as it appears to be. The easiest way to solve it is to buy an HID harness from a local shop or ebay for $10 and wire your LEDs that way. Let me know if you need an explanation of how to actually wire this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wire-Harness-H1-H8-H9-H10-H11-9005-9006-9007-9145-/331132814536?hash=item4d190dc4c8&vxp=mtr

That would take all the guess work out of it and it's cheap.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That would take all the guess work out of it and it's cheap.

Yup...comes with a relay, all the wiring is already done and shielded, you get waterproof connectors, and battery terminals. Setup is easy. Two ends go to the battery (red and black wires with ring terminals), the single signal wire gets tapped into the OEM positive foglight wire, and then the two pigtails plug right into your lights. If your lights are from China, which most likely they are, you will have the same connectors so it will just plug and play. I have this exact setup for both my headlights and fogs, but I have HIDs in mine.

sjd78

Yup...comes with a relay, all the wiring is already done and shielded, you get waterproof connectors, and battery terminals. Setup is easy. Two ends go to the battery (red and black wires with ring terminals), the single signal wire gets tapped into the OEM positive foglight wire, and then the two pigtails plug right into your lights. If your lights are from China, which most likely they are, you will have the same connectors so it will just plug and play. I have this exact setup for both my headlights and fogs, but I have HIDs in mine.

Do you know if they are the same connectors as what Rigid uses?

Top Bottom