Wiring Rigid flood light as reverse & switch actuated lights

Spudcannons

I would like to wire my Rigid dually flood lights as backup lights that can be activated with a switch and will also turn on when put in reverse. Any way to do this with one set of lights?

Havoc40

Yes, you can achieve this on 1 set of lights. You'll need a 3 position (on-off-on) switch. I planned on doing this originally and made a wiring schematic...let me track it down.

I decided that it was easy enough to just flip the switch if I really needed the extra light. They're so damn bright, I didn't want them coming on every time I reversed.

Last edited:
I would like to wire my Rigid dually flood lights as backup lights that can be activated with a switch and will also turn on when put in reverse. Any way to do this with one set of lights?

Yes, Rigid actually sells a harness for this purpose that includes the 3 position switch for on/off/auto. It is a 25' long harness and we have them in stock. Shoot me a pm or give me a call at 866-601-5340 for more info.

-Tim

Spudcannons

Yes, Rigid actually sells a harness for this purpose that includes the 3 position switch for on/off/auto. It is a 25' long harness and we have them in stock. Shoot me a pm or give me a call at 866-601-5340 for more info.

-Tim

I was hoping to use my Switch-Pros would that harness work with the switch-pros?

Havoc40

I cannot find my diagram. But, there's plenty to be found with a Google search.

The Rigid harness will not be plug-in-play for your use. Without using 2 outputs from the Switch-Pro, I don't think you'd be able to achieve what you're wanting. Even then, I don't know how you'd get the "trigger" from the factory reverse circuit to the power distribution module?

You have to tap into the factory reverse + wire, and use 2 relays to do this properly.

I was hoping to use my Switch-Pros would that harness work with the switch-pros?

The Switch Pros for sure would be compatible with the 2 position switch and standard harness provided by Rigid. I have a call out to them to see if there is any way to integrate the 3 position switch into their system.

-Tim

Spudcannons

I cannot find my diagram. But, there's plenty to be found with a Google search.

The Rigid harness will not be plug-in-play for your use. Without using 2 outputs from the Switch-Pro, I don't think you'd be able to achieve what you're wanting. Even then, I don't know how you'd get the "trigger" from the factory reverse circuit to the power distribution module?

You have to tap into the factory reverse + wire, and use 2 relays to do this properly.

Could I use the factory reverse light's power to run the rigid lights then add a power line from the switch-pros bypassing the factory power?

Havoc40

Could I use the factory reverse light's power to run the rigid lights then add a power line from the switch-pros bypassing the factory power?

Doing what you said above will work with a diode or two relays. You need a diode so you're not back feeding the reverse circuit. You'll never have the "off" position when going into reverse. They will ALWAYS come on in reverse. If that's fine with you, then this is what you'd have to do.

Diode version: Tap into the factory reverse lights, run that wire to a diode, and then to pin #85 on a relay. Run an output wire from the Switch Pro's to pin# 85 as well. Then connect the + red wire from the Rigids to Pin# 87. Supply a 12V+ wire to pin# 30. Ground Pin#86. Ground the lights.

2 relays: Start off by soldering 2 leads for a 12V+ wire, and then 2 leads for the red wire for the Rigids. The 1st relay will need a wire from the reverse lights on pin 85, a 12V+ to pin 30, and 1 lead from the Rigids to pin 87. Ground pin 86. The 2nd relay will need a wire from the Switch-Pros to pin 85, the other 12V+ to pin 30, and the other lead from the Rigids to pin 87. Ground pin 86. Ground the lights.

EDIT: If you want the off function, you'll have to interrupt the reverse circuit with a switch. On will turn them on with the reverse lights, off is off and will only come on with the Switch Pro. At that point you might as well use a 3 position switch IMO. But I understand wanting to use the $500 Switch Pro!

Last edited:

Spudcannons

Doing what you said above will work with a diode or two relays. You need a diode so you're not back feeding the reverse circuit. You'll never have the "off" position when going into reverse. They will ALWAYS come on in reverse. If that's fine with you, then this is what you'd have to do.

Diode version: Tap into the factory reverse lights, run that wire to a diode, and then to pin #85 on a relay. Run an output wire from the Switch Pro's to pin# 85 as well. Then connect the + red wire from the Rigids to Pin# 87. Supply a 12V+ wire to pin# 30. Ground Pin#86. Ground the lights.

2 relays: Start off by soldering 2 leads for a 12V+ wire, and then 2 leads for the red wire for the Rigids. The 1st relay will need a wire from the reverse lights on pin 85, a 12V+ to pin 30, and 1 lead from the Rigids to pin 87. Ground pin 86. The 2nd relay will need a wire from the Switch-Pros to pin 85, the other 12V+ to pin 30, and the other lead from the Rigids to pin 87. Ground pin 86. Ground the lights.

EDIT: If you want the off function, you'll have to interrupt the reverse circuit with a switch. On will turn them on with the reverse lights, off is off and will only come on with the Switch Pro. At that point you might as well use a 3 position switch IMO. But I understand wanting to use the $500 Switch Pro!

Thanks. It will be a bit tough not to use the switch pro but it will be much easier to use the 3 way. I only need the stupid reverse function for inspection... I guess I could use a couple small LED's mounted near the hitch, spliced into the reverse light harness to pass.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I did this, using my spod :grayno:, and all I did was run a power wire to the back from it, then aditionally tapped into the stock reverse light wiring and it was that easy. Comes on when im in reverse, and on with the switch when I feel like running them. Prolly could have done it better, but it works.

Top Bottom