Axle Shaft in Rubi Locker.

Grubbicon

As im sure some know by now Sunday I ended up breaking my passenger rear axle shaft. Well Im now trying to get the broke piece out of the locker. So one question I have is does the stock rubi elocker come apart making it easier to knock the piece out the other side? Next is any suggestion on getting it out would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437525086.156908.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437525094.777566.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It takes some work but you can take apart the Rubi e-locker. I'm thinking you're gonna have to do just that too in order to get that bit of broken shaft out.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I've had good luck either using a strong magnet and gently pulling out on the shaft. If that doesn't work I've used my welder and to bond a stick or wire to the shaft and pull out on it.
One time I had to drill a hole and tap it and put a bolt into the axle shaft and then pry it out.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437525600.870030.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had good luck either using a strong magnet and gently pulling out on the shaft. If that doesn't work I've used my welder and to bond a stick or wire to the shaft and pull out on it.
One time I had to drill a hole and tap it and put a bolt into the axle shaft and then pry it out.
View attachment 155048

now that's ingenuity :clap2:

Grubbicon

It takes some work but you can take apart the Rubi e-locker. I'm thinking you're gonna have to do just that too in order to get that bit of broken shaft out.

I believe your right with that. I tired the magnet trick with what I got and its in there too good for that. Any instructions out there that you know of to get this thing apart? Id hate to start just pulling crap apart that's unnecessary but im assuming the ring gear is gonna have to come off to start.

Grubbicon

View attachment 155048

I could see welding a rod to it but i dont see how I can do that without getting splatter on the inside of the locker. I got the welder im just scared to try that one.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I could see welding a rod to it but i dont see how I can do that without getting splatter on the inside of the locker. I got the welder im just scared to try that one.

The slag or splatter should come off easily with all of the gear oil on there.

Worst case is you ruin you factory locker and carrier and have to get an ARB

I was just offering my .02

Grubbicon

The slag or splatter should come off easily with all of the gear oil on there.

Worst case is you ruin you factory locker and carrier and have to get an ARB

I was just offering my .02

I do like the idea I might try it. If it does come out for the good it would be much easier the pulling the locker apart.

Yeep

I have a factory locker sitting in my garage with 7k miles on it and the exact same break.

Let me know how yours turns out. I ended up just replacing mine... But if I can get that broken piece out, it would be good for an extra

Grubbicon

I have a factory locker sitting in my garage with 7k miles on it and the exact same break.

Let me know how yours turns out. I ended up just replacing mine... But if I can get that broken piece out, it would be good for an extra

Yes it would. I plan in trying to welding a rod to it when i get a chance tomorrow. Figured it would be easiest if it will work. Ill keep this thread updated.

Grubbicon

Just a update I got it out. Ended up taking the locker apart and was able to break the shaft into two pieces. Then it came out fairly easy.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437588192.753320.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437588201.142058.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437588209.389728.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437588218.603517.jpg

did you happen to get any good pictures while taking it apart ? I am a little curious about the tear down of the factory locker.

Grubbicon

did you happen to get any good pictures while taking it apart ? I am a little curious about the tear down of the factory locker.

Alright so here is what I did. After you take the ring gear off you will find two screws. There is one screw on either side.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437590003.444798.jpg

Next you flip it over and pull the top off of it. It will then look like this.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437590067.775556.jpg

Next you pull that piece you see on top out and then it will look like this.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437590142.270095.jpg

From here I was able to get a punch in to beat on that piece of the shaft.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437590169.724133.jpg

07JKSahara

I know little about the inside of diffs, would this need to be reset with preload and shims? Or can it be bolted back in and hold the same specs?! Thanks in advance.

Grubbicon

I know little about the inside of diffs, would this need to be reset with preload and shims? Or can it be bolted back in and hold the same specs?! Thanks in advance.

I plan to put it back in as the same as I pulled it out. My friend that has a shop told me thats all it will take cause I was unsure myself of that.

Top Bottom